Successful companies rely on their trademarks and brands to communicate the quality and excellence of their products and to distinguish their businesses in a competitive marketplace. At Troutman Sanders, we have a proven track record helping clients protect and strengthen their brands, often transforming these symbols, images and taglines into valuable assets in and of themselves. We also represent companies in unfair competition matters, helping them resolve disputes with competitors and regulators across the Unites States and internationally.
Clients and industry observers alike have recognized the strength of our practice:
- In a recent annual ranking of the world’s leading trademark professionals, World Trademark Review has stated that Troutman Sanders lawyers have “an excellent reputation backed up with proven trademark capabilities,” are “intelligent and affable” and have “an impressive standing in the market.”
- Our trademark lawyers are consistently listed in the Best Lawyers in America guide and have received its “Lawyer of the Year” recognition.
Troutman Sanders currently maintains more than 10,000 trademark applications and registrations for a broad range of clients. Our lawyers take a proactive approach in assisting and counseling our clients, providing innovative and creative solutions to intellectual-property issues, including the following:
- Trademark selection, clearance, prosecution, licensing, litigation and valuation
- Domain-name registration and dispute resolution
- Branding guidelines and programs
- Advertising and promotion law
- Trade-dress protection of nontraditional marks
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Website audits
- Anti-counterfeiting and gray-market strategies
Our trademark litigators devise, recommend and implement strategies to protect and maximize our clients’ competitive advantage. We are adept at crafting creative pre-litigation counseling, planning and enforcement efforts. Our extensive experience includes handling matters involving trademarks, service marks, counterfeiting, trade dress, trade names, false advertising, and other intellectual property and unfair competition issues. Our lawyers pursue and defend claims in federal and state trial and appellate courts throughout the country. We actively represent clients in the USPTO and before other registries and quasi-judicial agencies around the world, such as the U.S. International Trade and the World Intellectual Property Association.
We have substantial experience in ex parte and inter partes litigation before the USPTO, and have represented clients in more than 500 trademark opposition, cancellation and other actions before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. In the area of e-commerce, our lawyers enforce clients’ trademarks and copyrights against unauthorized uses and resolve domain-name disputes and cybersquatting claims through federal court actions and ICANN administrative dispute resolution procedures. We also pursue claims against persons posting false statements on the Internet and resolve disputes involving key-word advertising.