Steve Rosenthal is a former Virginia Attorney General and a partner in the firm’s Consumer Financial Services practice with a primary focus in the Enforcement Actions & Investigation as well as the State Attorneys General practices. He represents clients in a broad spectrum of industries, including education, financial services, healthcare, pharmaceutical and insurance, and represents clients nationally before State Attorneys General in matters including individual and multi-state enforcement actions in the areas of healthcare, pharmaceuticals, consumer protection and financial services.
Additionally, Steve is a member of the firm’s Healthcare practice. He represents clients in professional licensing and administrative litigation matters before the Health Regulatory Boards, as well as representing applicants for Certificates of Public Need. He represents providers and insurers in regulatory matters before the Virginia Bureau of Insurance, and individuals and organizations in regulatory and reimbursement matters before the Virginia Departments of Medical Assistance Services (Medicaid) and Health.
Steve provides ongoing analysis and commentary on developments in the consumer financial services industry, with a focus on online lenders, through the Consumer Financial Services Law Monitor blog at www.cfslawmonitor.com.
State Attorney General
- Representation of national pharmaceutical company in multi-state investigation of off-label marketing by Attorneys General.
- Representation of financial services company against multi-state enforcement investigations and actions by Attorneys General alleging debt servicing violations.
- Representation of national pharmaceutical company to protect its FDA-approved drug against companies producing knock-off drugs with similar active ingredients, but without FDA approval.
- Representation of leading pharmacy benefit manager against opposition to its proposed merger.
- Representation of provider of home emergency insurance coverage against consumer protection investigations and inquiries into its marketing practices by Attorneys General.
- Proactive work with Attorneys General on behalf of clients to resolve potential multi-state issues.
- Coordination of Attorney General support/opposition for various clients involved in state and federal governmental issues.
- Represented Ferrum College in a wrongful death matter brought by the family of a former Ferrum student who passed away from a cardiac irregularity during his freshman year. Henry Hazel Graham, Jr., Administrator for the Estate of Henry Hazel Graham, III, Deceased v. Ferrum College, Inc., et al. Case No. CL07-205.
- Representation of numerous healthcare providers (physicians, osteopaths, chiropractors, podiatrists, nurses, pharmacists, optometrists, dentists, psychologists) before the various Health Regulatory Boards in professional licensing and administrative litigation matters.
- Representation of non-profit entities in sale/disposition of assets.
- Successful representations of providers challenging Virginia Medicaid audits.
- Representation of hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers and other providers on applications for Certificates of Public Need.
- Successfully designed and secured passage of legislation that separated a public teaching hospital from its state university, allowing the privatized hospital to function in the highly competitive healthcare market.
- Successful representation of non-profit nursing home against Medicaid allegations of overpayments for direct expenses on its cost reports.
- Successfully represented national chain of home health agencies in dispute over entitlement to Medicare reimbursements for its branch offices in Virginia.
- Successful representation of psychiatric hospital against criminal allegations of fraudulent billings by the Virginia Medicaid Fraud Control Unit.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, “CFPB, FTC, State Regulators and Compliance,” Credit and Collection News Seminar, Dallas, TX, December 3-4, 2013.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Society of Attorneys General Emeritus, National Association of Attorneys General
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of State and Local Government Law, State Attorneys General and Department of Justice Issues Committee
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Chair, Health Law Section Council, Virginia Bar Association, 2011-2013; Vice Chair, 2009-2011
- Chair, American Psychological Association Commission for the Recognition of Specialties and Proficiencies in Professional Psychology (2013-Present); Commissioner (2010-Present)
- President, Access Now, Inc.
- Legal Services Corporation of Virginia (President, 2002-2009; Vice President, 1999-2002; Member, Board of Directors, 1995-Present)
- Supreme Court Commission on Mental Health Law Reform
Chair, Working Group on Advance Directives (2008-2010)
Chair, Working Group on Health Privacy and the Commitment Process (2007-2009)
- Member, Board of Directors, Legal Information Network for Cancer, 1996-2001
- Member, Criminal Justice Services Board, 1986-1994
- Member, State Board of Corrections (Youth Services Subcommittee and Committee Member, Special Study Committee on the Mecklenburg Correctional Center), 1981-1986
Rankings and Recognition
- Achieved Martindale-Hubbell's highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Health Care Law (2007-2017).
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America as a Lawyer of the Year in Health Care Law (2017).
- Selected by Law & Politics as a Virginia Super Lawyer in Healthcare (2007-2016).
- Named to Virginia Business magazine’s Legal Elite in Legislative/Regulatory (2003) and Health Law (2003, 2005-2014, 2016).
- Fellow, Virginia Law Foundation.
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1999-present
- Counsel, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1994 - 1999
- Attorney General, Commonwealth of Virginia, 1993-1994
- Chief Deputy Attorney General, Commonwealth of Virginia, 1992-1993
- Deputy Attorney General, Public Safety & Economic Development Division, 1986-1992
- Partner, Jebo & Rosenthal, Radford, VA, 1976-1986
- Washington and Lee University, J.D., 1976
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., 1971
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States