Stacey McGraw's practice focuses primarily on providing advice and representation to professional liability insurance carriers, particularly those writing insurance policies for directors and officers, and professionals and corporations in the technology, telecommunications, media and financial sectors. Stacey regularly represents insurance carriers at mediations of complex disputes and in litigation over the terms and limitations of coverage. Stacey also has defended professionals, including lawyers, against allegations of malpractice, and has represented nonprofits in litigation and in other contexts.
- Provides advice to insurance carriers with respect to coverage issues, ultimate exposure and underwriting strategy.
- Frequently represents directors and officers and other professional liability carriers at private and court-ordered mediations.
- Filed declaratory judgment actions on behalf of insurance carriers in claims involving terms of coverage, disclosures in applications for coverage and existence of other insurance.
- Represented insurer in connection with litigation concerning terms of insurance coverage for data breach.
- Successfully defended insurance company against allegations of bad faith in Cont'l Cas. Co. v. Hempel, 4 F. App'x 703 (10th Cir. 2001) and Philadelphia Indem. Ins. Co. v. Fed. Ins. Co., 143 F. App'x 419 (3d Cir. 2005).
- Represented insurance client in defense of effort by claimant in underlying litigation to obtain insurer’s files.
- Represented directors' and officers’ insurance carriers in connection with failed bank litigation.
- Represented national law firm in legal malpractice suit.
- Defended board of directors of nonprofit in court and arbitration proceeding against employment and defamation claims.
- Advised nonprofits’ boards on corporate governance questions.
- Defended nonprofit in connection with the 1996 presidential debates.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- “What’s Next In Cyber Insurance: New Trends, New Risks, New Cases, and What We Can Expect in 2017,” Troutman Sanders Insurance Webinar Series, November 15, 2016.
- “Fourth Circuit Addresses Potential Coverage for Cyber Liabilities Under General Liability Policies in Portal HealthCare,” PLUS Journal, June 2016.
- “Accumulating User Behavior Data – What ARE the Risks?” 2016 PLUS Cyber Symposium, New York, NY (September 27, 2016).
- “How Comprehensive is Comprehensive Liability Insurance?” HB Litigation Conferences: Data Breach & Privacy Litigation Conference, San Francisco, CA (February 11, 2016).
- Moderator, "Internet of Things (IoT): Boundless Exposures & Privacy Issues," 2015 PLUS Cyber Symposium, September 17, 2015.
- "Cyber Speed Debates 2.0," 2014 PLUS Annual Conference, Las Vegas (November 5-7, 2014).
- “The Aftermath of Failed Financial Institutions Including the Impact of Insolvency on Coverage, Claims and Costs,” ACI Financial Institutions Insurance Conference, New York (November 22, 2013).
- “Government Investigations: Hot Areas, Defense Strategies and Coverage Issues,” ABA Section of Litigation 2013 Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Women in Insurance Networking Workshop, Chicago (October 15, 2013).
- "Cloud Cover: Insuring Technology & Cyberliability Risks," ABA Section of Litigation 2012 Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Women in Insurance Networking Workshop (October 18, 2012).
- "Privacy and Data Security: The New ‘Cyber’ World of Insurance Coverage & Risk Management," ABA Section on Litigation Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, Tucson, AZ (March 4, 2011).
- "Assessing What a Breach and a Resulting Claim is Really Worth," American Conference Institute's 4th National Advanced Forum on the Cyber & Data Risk Insurance, New York (September 27-29, 2010).
- Nonprofit Risk Management Institutes: “Insurance Coverage Clinic” (October 18, 2004).
- Co-author, "The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: An Overview of the Law and Coverage-Related Issues," ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation, January-February 2014.
- Profiled, "Q&A With Troutman Sanders' Stacey McGraw," Law360, April 12, 2013.
- Co-author, "Being an Open Book," Risk Management Magazine, March 15, 2013.
- "Cyber Liability: New Wrinkles on Old Coverage Issues," PLUSweb, October 2012.
- "Retail Ventures Decision Is Another Example of Ongoing Efforts to Determine How Insurance Applies to Cyber Attacks," Troutman Sanders LLP, September 17, 2012.
- “Delaware Supreme Court Rejects Deepening Insolvency as an Independent Cause of Action in ‘Trenwick’ Decision,” PLUS Journal, December 2007.
- Mealey’s Article Features Late Notice Case in Which RDB’s Client Prevailed, August 18, 2005.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- PLUS Journal Editorial Board
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2009-present
- Partner, Ross, Dixon & Bell, LLP, 2001 – 2008
- Associate, Ross, Dixon & Bell, LLP, 1993 – 2000
- University of Michigan, J.D., cum laude, 1993
- University of Virginia, B.A., with distinction, 1990
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit