Siran Faulders is a partner in the firm's Enforcement Actions & Investigations and the State Attorneys General Investigations practices. She focuses her practice on advising clients in state and federal regulatory matters, with a special emphasis on state consumer protection laws, including matters involving data breaches, pharmaceuticals, advertising and marketing and financial services. In addition to representing clients in single and multi-state enforcement actions by state Attorneys General, Siran’s practice includes representation of parents and their children in special education matters.
- Representation of data broker in 44-state investigation involving data breach.
- Representation of pharmaceutical company and trade association with regard to marketing and pricing issues and counterfeiting initiative.
- Representation of leading pharmacy benefit manager in state regulatory matters.
- Representation of agricultural biotechnology company in connection with patent and antitrust issues.
- Representation of specialty drug and medical device company in state regulatory matters.
- Served for nine years as chief counsel for state Medicaid agency providing advice regarding compliance with federal Medicaid laws and regulations including successful effort to avoid federal closure of several major nursing homes, avoiding unnecessary transfer of frail residents while improving quality of care.
- Represented state Medicaid agency in federal lawsuit brought by transportation providers seeking major rate increases, successfully mediating multi-million dollar settlement.
- Represents parents of children with disabilities in disputes with local school divisions over special education programs. Practice included IEP meetings, administrative hearings and federal appeals.
- Served as counsel to parents in Schaffer v. Weast, an IDEA case before the U.S. Supreme Court in case involving interpretation of state and federal regulatory scheme.
- Represented public interest in the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, a multi-million dollar charity created by the late Jack Kent Cooke and funded by sale of the Washington Redskins. Represented the public interest in defense against challenge to Mr. Cooke’s will and in mediation that resulted in savings of more than $20 million in Executor fees that could then be placed in charitable trust.
- Represented and advised parents on legal rights involving disputes with local school divisions. Addressed LRP National Conference on special education issues.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, “Legislative Update,” Cybersecurity/Data Security: Emerging Risks, Trends and Best Practices Seminar, Republican Attorney General's Association (RAGA), Scottsdale, Arizona, November 16, 2015.
- Panelist, “Cybersecurity: How to Prevent Data Breaches and What to Do When One Occurs,” 2015 Conference of Western Attorneys General Annual Meeting, Maui, Hi, July 19-22, 2015.
- Panelist, “Do You Know Your BBB Rating? What You Don’t Know Could Hurt You,” Online Lenders Alliance Webinar, March 25, 2014.
Civic and Community Activities
- Member, State and Local Government Law Section, American Bar Association
- Former Member, Governor's Advisory Board on Child Abuse and Neglect, appointed by three Attorneys General (1996-2004)
- Member, Virginia State Bar, 13th Circuit Committee for the Resolution of Fee Disputes
Rankings and Recognition
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers of America for Education Law (2009-2016).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP
- Of Counsel, Troutman Sanders LLP
- Section Chief and Senior Assistant Attorney General, Office of the Attorney General of Virginia
- Partner, Williams, Mullen, Christian & Dobbins
- Partner, Press, Jones & Waechter, P.C.
- University of Richmond, J.D.,
- Bates College, B.A.,
District of Columbia
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia