Shannon Patterson’s practice focuses on securities law matters, corporate governance, securities law aspects of executive compensation, and general corporate law matters. Shannon represents clients in various industries, with a particular focus on national and state community banks and bank holding companies. Shannon regularly advises clients regarding the corporate governance and executive compensation requirements of the federal government’s TARP Capital Purchase Program. Shannon also advises public companies with respect to disclosure obligations, including regular reporting obligations and Regulation FD compliance, as well as exchange listing issues, securities offerings, and mergers and acquisitions. Shannon works closely with clients’ compliance personnel to design and implement internal policies and procedures in connection with corporate and regulatory requirements.
- Counsel to U.S. public companies regarding Exchange Act periodic reporting and public disclosure requirements, including Dodd-Frank and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements, corporate governance issues under federal and NYSE/NASDAQ regulations, and state securities laws.
- Advises banks and bank holding companies regarding the federal government’s TARP Capital Purchase Program, including post-closing compliance with regulatory requirements, assistance in exiting the TARP program, and issues related to acquiring a TARP participant.
- Counsels boards of directors and C-level executives in matters concerning corporate governance and investor relations, including discharge of fiduciary duties, conduct of shareholder meetings, preparation of proxy statements, executive compensation, and beneficial ownership reporting.
- Assisted public bank holding company in a mixed-consideration acquisition.
- Assisted the seller, a public bank holding company, in $490 million stock merger.
- Experienced in general Virginia corporate law matters.
- Represented purchaser in entity formation and acquisition and finance of assets.
- Negotiated and implemented asset purchase transaction with related security agreements.
- Assisted start-up manufacturer in strategic capitalization and creation of incentives to attract new investors.
- Advised clients regarding use of valuation discounts for family-owned limited liability companies and partnerships.
- Prepared shareholder agreements and voting agreements.
- Developed succession plans and deferred compensation plans for businesses.
- Assisted church ministry and country club in seeking tax exempt status.
- Provided wealth transfer and estate planning services to high net worth individuals.
- Assisted fiduciaries in administering trusts and estates, including preparation of probate documents and distribution of assets.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, “Cybersecurity in Financial Institutions,” Troutman Sanders Consumer Financial Services Webinar Series, October 5, 2016.
- Moderator/Panelist, Knowledge Group Webcast, “Emerging Issues: Understanding U.S. Cybersecurity Market - A 2016 Perspective,” October 2015.
- Speaker, Troutman Sanders Annual Public Company Conference, Richmond, Virginia (2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015).
- Speaker, National Investor Relations Institute Richmond Chapter, “What You Can Say: The State of Play,” Richmond, Virginia (2011).
Professional and Community Involvement
- Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference
- Volunteer Reading Program, Westover Hills Elementary School (former)
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected for inclusion in the 2010, 2013-2014 editions of Law and Politics' Virginia Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition.
- Moot Court Executive Council Member, Wake Forest University School of Law.
- Of Counsel, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2015-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2007 - 2014
- Associate, CowanGates, PC, 2004 - 2007
- Wake Forest University, J.D., 2004
- University of Virginia, B.A., 1999
Minor in Italian