Ryan Tuley’s practice focuses on representing clients in complex insurance coverage, bad faith, and business litigation matters. He also devotes a significant amount of his time to advising clients regarding insurance coverage issues under directors and officers, errors and omissions, professional liability, employment practices liability, and commercial general liability policies. Ryan regularly litigates coverage and other disputes in federal and state courts nationwide and has handled a large variety of matters from the pre-litigation stage through discovery, trial, and appeal.
- Representing and advising an insurer in a breach of insurance contract action filed by a major electronics box store related to an underlying fee dispute.
- Representing and advising an insurer in a contribution action against other insurers arising out of the events and circumstances surrounding the Initial Public Offering of Facebook, Inc.
- Representing and advising an insurer in a reimbursement action against an insured for uncovered defense expenses associated with a multi-million dollar underlying fee dispute.
- Representing and advising an insurer in a coverage action against other insurers to properly allocate a multi-million underlying settlement involving individuals seriously injured in a construction accident.
- Representing and advising an insurer with regard to underlying litigation involving over 1500 plaintiffs seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in claimed damages from a wildfire that destroyed nearly 1000 homes and other structures.
- Representing and advising insurer in connection with a multi-million dollar excess verdict rendered against a policyholder attorney who allegedly allowed a medical device patent to lapse.
- Represented an insurer with respect to coverage and liability issues arising out of various securities class actions, an ERISA class action, bankruptcy proceedings, SEC and other regulatory investigations, and other proceedings arising out of the collapse of subprime lenders.
- Represented an insurer with respect to coverage and liability issues arising out of an underlying lawsuit by an insurance company against an insurance broker for the alleged improper placement of coverage which allegedly resulted in several million dollars of unwarranted exposure.
- Successfully litigated a rescission action under a professional liability errors and omissions policy based on various misrepresentation made by the insured during the application process.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of an insurer in a bad faith lawsuit by demonstrating that an underlying proceeding against the insured before the United States International Trade Commission (“USITC”) did not qualify as a “suit” under the terms of a commercial general liability policy and that the USITC could not award monetary damages as was necessary to trigger coverage under the policy. Subsequently obtained a ruling from the California Court of Appeal affirming the trial court’s decision to grant summary judgment.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment of a bad faith claim given the existence of a genuine dispute regarding coverage for a large exposure loss under a commercial automobile policy issued to a major transit company.
- Successfully obtained judgment following a bench trial in an equitable contribution action against another insurer for defense fee and cost payments associated with an underlying lawsuit arising out of a landslide.
- Represented an insurance company in a rescission/bad faith action involving a life insurance policy and obtained a favorable settlement well within the policy limit.
- Represented a first party insurer and negotiated a favorable settlement in a bad faith lawsuit arising out of alleged mold contamination at the insured’s property.
- Represented an insurance holding company in a bad faith action arising out of the 1994 Northridge Earthquake against allegations that the client and its insurance company subsidiaries had destroyed the insured’s multi-million dollar computer business.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment of a fraud claim against a law firm, and subsequently obtained a ruling from the California Court of Appeal affirming the summary judgment order.
- Represented a gate opener manufacturer in a trade dress infringement lawsuit, and subsequent appeal. After a four week trial, the jury returned a verdict in favor of our client and the subsequent judgment was later affirmed by the California Court of Appeal.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected for Southern California Super Lawyers in Insurance Coverage 2013-2016
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2010-present
- Of Counsel, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2009
- Of Counsel, Ross, Dixon & Bell, LLP, 2008
- Associate, Ross, Dixon & Bell, LLP 2006-2007
- Berger Kahn, a Professional Law Corp., 1998-2006
- University of San Diego, J.D., cum laude, 1998
Order of the Coif
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1995
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California