Rusty Close is an associate in Troutman Sanders’ Intellectual Property and Business Litigation practices. He practices in all areas of intellectual property law, including patent prosecution and patent litigation. He has extensive experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications as well as formulating various patent and IP strategies. Rusty also counsels clients on protecting and enforcing their intellectual property rights in addition to assisting clients with technology development and licensing arrangements.
Rusty has experience procuring patents for technology businesses, particularly those in the fields of computer software and computer-implemented technologies, including electronic medical records and healthcare systems, electronic commerce and payment systems, and social media technologies. Rusty also has experience representing clients in the fields of manufacturing, power management, medical devices, and consumer goods.
While attending the University of Georgia School of Law, Rusty served as an articles editor for the Journal of Intellectual Property Law. He was also a member of the Intellectual Property Law Association.
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2013-present
- Associate, Morris, Manning & Martin LLP, 2012-2013
- Staff Attorney, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2008-2009
- Associate, Dennis, Corry, Porter & Smith LLP, 2007-2008
- University of Georgia, J.D., cum laude, 2007
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., Electrical Engineering, with honor, 2011
- University of Georgia, B.A., History, 2003
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
Supreme Court of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia