Rob Browne’s practice focuses on life sciences and complex litigation. His life sciences practice involves all facets of the industry, including biotechnology, food, medical device, and pharmaceutical companies as well as the representation of clients involved in the tobacco industry. Rob’s experience includes federal regulatory advice, assistance with compliance and related litigation, including product liability. He has counseled clients on a wide variety of matters involving the FDA, FTC and USDA, including regulatory submissions, product promotion and labeling, compliance with good manufacturing practices, agency inspections and investigations, licensing agreements and due diligence.
In terms of complex litigation, Rob’s practice ranges from intellectual property matters to insurance coverage actions. His past experience, including as a federal judicial clerk and an Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney, has provided him with a unique skill set to rely on in the litigation arena. Rob practices regularly in both the federal and state courts of Illinois and has appeared in multiple other jurisdictions.
- Counsel client in regard to ANDA Litigation.
- Counsel client on regulatory requirements for tobacco products and assist with FDA submissions.
- Counsel client on regulatory requirements for drug master files and assist with FDA submissions.
- Advise client regarding labeling of over-the-counter products.
- Represented client in connection with FTC investigation regarding potential violation of Contact Lens Rule.
- Represented client in connection with FTC warning letter regarding false and misleading advertising of dietary supplements.
- Advised client regarding the classification of medical device and issues concerning premarket approval vs. 510k filing.
- Represent clients in patent infringement litigation.
- Represent clients in insurance coverage actions involving environmental liabilities in multiple jurisdictions.
- Successfully represented client in action for conversion, fraud, and unjust enrichment in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Law Division, and obtained $3.5 million jury verdict (affirmed on appeal).
- Represented client in copyright infringement litigation and obtained settlement and release of claims.
- Represented client in trademark infringement litigation and obtained favorable settlement based on dismissal of a majority of claims.
- Represented client in patent infringement litigation and obtained transfer of venue to favorable jurisdiction and stay of case after reexam of patent was initiated.
- Represented client in mediation and obtained successful settlement based on client’s contractual claims.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements/Publications
- Panel Speaker, Troutman Sanders’ Pharma Law Conference, “Updates on Citizen Petitions & ‘Intended Use,’” 2016.
- Panel Speaker, Troutman Sanders’ Pharma Law Conference, “Citizen Petitions & Tactics,” 2015.
- Protecting Sensitive Records Provided to Public Bodies, Robert E. Browne, Jr., John F. Costello, Jr., Matthew M. Garret, Illinois’ Freedom of Information and Open Meeting Acts, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, January 2011.
- Presenter at the Troutman Sanders LLP FDA Tobacco Summit, “The FDA’s New Role in the Tobacco Industry – cGMPs,” October 8, 2009.
Rankings and Recognition
- Founding member of the Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review
- Note and Comment Editor of the initial publication of the Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review
Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2017 - present
Of Counsel, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2009 – 2016
Senior Counsel, Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP, 2006 – 2009
Associate, Meckler, Bulger, Tilson, Marick & Pearson, 2002 – 2006
Law Clerk, The Hon. Charles R. Norgle, Sr. U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2000 – 2002
Assistant State’s Attorney, Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, 1998 - 2000
- Marquette University, J.D., 1997
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1993
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, including Trial Bar
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit