Richard Gerakitis is a partner in the Labor & Employment practice and handles a variety of complex commercial litigation matters. He has more than 30 years of experience in litigation, mediation and arbitration. Richard handles all types of employment matters, representing management in both union and nonunion settings. His specialties include trade secret claims, noncompetition covenants, employee breach of fiduciary duty claims, individual and class actions involving Title VII sex discrimination, religious discrimination and race discrimination claims, age discrimination claims (ADEA), retaliation claims, Sections 1981, 1983 civil rights claims, Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), workplace safety (OSHA), Sarbanes-Oxley and other whistleblower statutes and disability discrimination claims (ADA). He also represents employers and employees in the negotiation of employment contracts.
Richard is recognized in several notable publications for many years including The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, PLC Cross-Border Handbooks and Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite. He serves on the 10-member Advisory Board for the CCH Employment Law Daily. Richard graduated magna cum laude from the University of Georgia, and attended Walter F. George School of Law at Mercer University.
Professional and Community Involvement
- State Bar of Georgia (Labor and Employment and Trial Practice Sections)
- Atlanta Bar Association (Labor and Employment and Litigation Sections)
- ICLE Seminar Speaker (1986-present)
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club (2004-present)
- Chairman, State Bar of Georgia Client Security Fund (1989-1994)
- Member, Board of Directors, Metropolitan Atlanta YMCA (2008-present)
- Member, Rotary Club of Atlanta - West End (1983-Present); President (1994-1995); President (2012-2013)
- Member, Mercer University - Walter F. George School of Law Board of Visitors (2012-present)
- Member, Mercer University - Walter F. George School of Law Alumni Board (1986-1988); (2005-2012)
- Counsel, Christian Council of Metropolitan Atlanta (1990-1992)
- Director, Northside Youth Organization (1994-1999)