Reade Jacob is an associate in Troutman Sander’s Consumer Financial Services group with a primary focus in the Enforcement Actions & Investigations and the State Attorneys General practices where he represents clients interacting with and being investigated by state Attorneys General and other enforcement bodies.
Reade primarily represents and advises clients in a variety of state and federal regulatory matters, with a special emphasis on state consumer protection laws, including matters involving data breaches and privacy laws. In addition, Reade advises clients on internal investigations related to unauthorized access to consumer data and advises companies in developing compliance programs to proactively address these issues.
Reade received a B.A. from Davidson College and a J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he served as a Senior Articles Editor for the Virginia Law & Business Review. At Davidson, Reade was awarded a Presidential Fellowship by the Center for the Study of the Presidency and Congress. Prior to law school, Reade served as Political Director for a reelection campaign of a member of the United States Congress.
Reade provides ongoing analysis and commentary on developments in the consumer financial services industry, with a focus on regulatory developments, through the Consumer Financial Services Law Monitor blog at http://www.cfslawmonitor.com/.
Reade is certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) as a Certified Information Privacy Professional in the United States (CIPP/US).
- Author, "Practical Advice On Applying For The EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Program," Troutman Sanders News & Knowledge, July 29, 2016.
- Author, "New rules wrong to equate e-cigs with the real deal,” Daily Journal, May 26, 2016.
- Co-author, "Data Privacy: The Current Legal Landscape," March 2, 2016.
- Co-author, “Data Breach Notification & Response Guide,” March 2016.
- Co-author, "Why 2016 Will Be A Big Year For Big Data," Law360, January 13, 2016.
- Author, "Pennsylvania's Legal Battle Over MSA Payments Keeps Twisting," Smokeshop, February 2015.
- Co-author, "Compelled Commercial Speech: the Food and Drug Administration's Effort to Smoke Out the Tobacco Industry through Graphic Warning Labels," Food and Drug Law Journal, 2013.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Virginia Bar Association, Administrative Law Section, Communications Chair
- American Bar Association, Section of State and Local Government Law, State Attorneys General and Department of Justice Issues Committee, Member
- University of Virginia Law School Foundation, Class of 2014 Agent