Today’s economic and regulatory climate is especially challenging. Clients need experienced lawyers who know how to overcome obstacles in contracting and deal structuring to develop economically viable and financeable projects. At Troutman Sanders, our Project Development, Acquisition and Finance group has a long history of representing investors, lenders, utilities, independent power producers and developers in energy and other infrastructure projects throughout the United States and around the world. We guide clients through every stage of a project’s lifecycle, including the following:
- Project acquisition and disposition (early through late stage) and structuring
- Joint ventures and partnerships
- Environmental permitting and federal, state and local regulatory compliance
- Real estate acquisition and leasing
- EPC, equipment procurement, and balance of plant construction
- Interconnection and transmission
- Energy and other product attributes trading and hedging
- Optimization of tax credits and other tax benefits
- Construction and long-term debt, sponsor and tax equity and lease financing
- Operation and maintenance
Our transactional, financing and regulatory involvement in the electric power business dates back to the 1920s, subsequently expanding to the renewable energy, natural gas, water supply and treatment and transportation industries. In the early 1980s, we became actively involved in the growth of the independent power industry.
Drawing on our firsthand knowledge of the regulated and the unregulated sides of the industry, we have successfully advanced projects addressing the needs of both sides of the equation. We help clients with focused, targeted and sound legal advice. Developers, investment banks and lenders have made our dynamic, global practice their “go-to firm.” In addition, U.S. News recognized us as a national top tier energy practice the 2015 edition of U.S. News–Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms.”
We have counseled clients throughout the entire United States. Examples include an IGCC coal gasification plant in Florida, the construction of two new nuclear units in Georgia, and multiple solar, wind and other renewable projects that include some of the largest solar facilities in the country.
Internationally, we have been involved in project structuring and managing of biomass plants in the Dominican Republic and geothermal facilities in the Caribbean, and the build out of a telecommunications company’s services in Europe and Asia, to name a few.