Peter Glaser practices in the energy and environmental law fields. He represents electric utility, mining and other energy industry companies and associations, as well as other businesses, on regulatory and commercial matters. He specializes in environmental regulation and litigation, particularly in the area of air quality and global climate change. He has participated in numerous EPA rulemakings and judicial appeals and in various state, federal, and local siting and permitting proceedings. Given his strong background, he has testified numerous times before Congress on climate change issues. Peter has also represented numerous coal producers and coal purchasers on a variety of commercial and contract matters, including litigated disputes, and his experience extends to proceedings before the STB and FERC. Peter is a Chambers Band One (highest rating) national climate change attorney. Peter writes and speaks frequently on air quality and climate change matters.
- Advocates for clients on air quality issues, particularly those affecting electric generation, mining and other energy-related activities, in state and federal judicial, regulatory and legislative venues.
- Participates in various EPA and other federal and state rulemakings and judicial appeals affecting the environment and represents clients in environmental permitting and compliance matters.
- Represents clients in state and federal energy facility siting and certificate of need proceedings.
- Expert on greenhouse gas regulatory, litigation and legislative matters, including testimony before Congress on climate change issues.
- Negotiated hundreds of coal and rail contracts and contract amendments, litigated coal contract disputes in federal and state court, litigated rail contract disputes in federal court and before the Surface Transportation Board, and served as party arbitrator in coal contract dispute.
- Experience extends to electric regulatory and commercial matters.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, and Air Quality and Climate Change, Sustainable Development and Ecosystem Committees
- Energy Bar Association
Rankings and Recognition
- Recognized as one of America's Leading Lawyers for Climate Change law by Chambers USA (Nationally 2009-2016).
- Selected for inclusion in Law & Politics’ Washington DC Super Lawyers (2014-2015).
- Selected for inclusion in the Top Rated Lawyers Guide to Energy/Environmental/Natural Resources Law (2012).
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Environmental Law (2013-2014).
- Recognized in Washington D.C. & Baltimore's Top Rated Lawyers (2013).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2004-present
- Partner, Shook, Hardy & Bacon LLP
- Partner, Doherty, Rumble & Butler, PA
- Partner, Duncan, Weinberg & Miller
- The George Washington University, J.D., 1980
- Middlebury College, B.A., 1975
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
Supreme Court of the United States