Mitchel Perkiel is a partner with more than thirty-five years experience in complex corporate restructures, business reorganizations, chapter 11 proceedings, and out-of-court workouts throughout the country and cross-border, having represented debtors, creditors, equity holders and investors, banks and other secured or unsecured lenders, creditors’ committees, insurance companies, consultants, liquidators, and other parties impacted or affected by troubled company and financially-distressed situations or seeking to acquire distressed assets for businesses.
- Represented financially troubled companies in out-of-court workouts and in Bankruptcy Court restructures and reorganizations.
- Represented numerous debtor entities, including Allis-Chambers Corporation, Ameripol Synpol Corporation, Big Wheel Stores, Braniff Airways, Caldor Corporation, City Stores Company, Evan Products Company, M. Fabrikant & Sons, Inc., Food Fair, Forum Group, Frost Bros., Inc., Furniture-in-the-Raw, Inc., G. Heileman Brewing Company, Hair Club For Men, Health-Tex, Inc., Houbigant, Inc., Insilco Corporation, Jamesway Corporation, Johns-Manville Corporation, Korvettes, Inc., Leaseway Transportation Corp., Kidsmart Inc., LTV Corporation, Marx Toys, Perkins & Marie Callender's Inc., Pretrefesa Corporation, Pinnacle Trading Card Company, Steak & Brew, Inc., Strawberries, Inc., Supermarket Services, Inc., Unitel Video, Inc., White Motor Company and Zapata Corporation, as well as several eleemosynary institutions.
- Represented banks and other lending institutions, such as CIT Business Credit, Foothill Capital Corp, IBJ Schroeder, as well as, creditors’ committees, insurance companies, brokerage firms, investment banking groups, consultants and liquidators, real estate interests, and high net worth individuals.
- Counseled numerous groups in acquiring distressed or chapter 11 companies, including Baker & Taylor, Inc. in its acquisition of the assets/business of chapter 11 debtor Advanced Marketing Services, Inc. and The Trump Group in its acquisition of the assets/business of chapter 11 debtor Elite Modeling Agency, and including cross-border distressed acquisition opportunities, such as Austar United Communications Limited (Australia).
- Represented defendants in successful preference high-stakes avoidance defense litigations.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Mitchel has also participated in lectures and symposia before, among others, the National Association of Home Builders, involving the areas of corporate reorganization, bankruptcy and debtors’ and creditors’ rights, including the depressed real estate industry, distressed asset valuation and disposition, chapter 11 plan confirmation strategies, and the interaction of bankruptcy and environmental laws.
- Mitchel co-authored a bankruptcy advisory article for a private equity/venture capital association regarding the independence of management of portfolio companies and avoidance of liabilities.
- Mitchel co-authored an article for an equipment leasing association newsletter regarding pre-payment premium provisions in loan documents.
- Mitchel was quoted rain's New York Business. In the article entitled, Going, Going, Gone...Bankruptcies soar among entrepreneurs from retailers to restaurants as recession, creditors cause implosions; some can't even muster formal filings, Mr. Perkiel comments on the sharp increase of bankruptcy filings in all types of industries.
- Mitchel was quoted in an article titled, Landlords Seen Proactive With Tenant Bankruptcies, in Real Estate Weekly.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Turnaround Management Association
- American Bar Association
- INSOL (International Association of Insolvency Practitioners)
- Utah Bar Association
Rankings and Recognition
- Listed in Law & Politics’ New York Super Lawyers – Metro Edition (2006-2016) for excellence in Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights.
- Selected as among New York Area’s Best Lawyers (2008-2016) for Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights Law.
- Selected as among the Top Attorneys in New York Metro Area by Law & Politics (2007-2016) for Corporate Restructure/Chapter 11 Reorganizations.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2008-2016).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2005-present
- Partner, Jenkens & Gilchrist Parker Chapin, 2001-2005
- Partner, Kaye Scholer, 1990-2001 (successor to Levin & Weintraub)
- Partner, Levin & Weintraub, 1980-1990
- Associate, Levin & Weintraub, 1975-1979
- Clerk, The Honorable David Stadtmauer, Civil Court of the City of New York
- New York Law School, J.D., 1974
- Stony Brook University, State University of New York, B.A., 1971
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Utah