Mike Kaufman is a partner with over 35 years of experience in labor and employment law. He specializes in employment matters, representing management in labor relations, including union campaigns, collective bargaining and arbitrations. Mike also specializes in litigation of sex, religion and race discrimination claims, age discrimination claims (ADEA) disability claims (ADA), and wage/hour cases.
- Union Campaigns: Represented Sea Ray Boats in several union campaigns. Successfully represented clients in union campaigns in the furniture industry, construction industry, public utilities and other manufacturing businesses.
- Union Decertification: Represented flexible packaging company in effort to decertify unions in Texas and Delaware.
- Collective Bargaining: Represented companies in several different industries in unions negotiations. Lead negotiator for collective bargaining agreements for Polyvision, Inc., Leath Furniture, Gray Television, and other companies in the paper and steel industries.
- Successfully tried jury and non-jury employment discrimination cases.
- Lead counsel in wage and hour cases, including several class (collective) actions for a public employer in Georgia, a county school system, a cable installation company, and a Georgia resort.
- Author, "Giving Everyone a Fair Shake," Labor and Employment Litigation Strategies, Aspatore Inc., 2007.
- Author, "Rossmore House: The Status of Interrogating Known Union Sympathizers," Labor Law Journal, July 1985.
Professional and Community Involvement
- State Bar of Georgia, Labor and Employment Section
- Atlanta Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Member, Committee of Practice and Procedures under the National
- Labor Relations Act, Section on Labor and Employment Law, 1980-1981
Rankings and Recognition
- Achieved Martindale-Hubbell's highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards
- Selected as 2004 Super Lawyer by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine for Labor & Employment Law excellence
- Named to Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite in labor/employment (2004)
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, April 1998-present
- Alston & Bird, 1987-1998
- Thompson, Mann & Hutson, 1976-1987
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1976
- Furman University, B.A., 1973