Melissa Oellerich is an energy lawyer with a practice that primarily focuses on advising and representing utilities on transactional and regulatory litigation matters. Melissa has advised clients on trade secret matters, prudence issues and construction monitoring proceedings for nuclear plant cost recovery, state rate-making proceedings including cost of capital issues, nuclear plant development cost recovery, integrated resource planning issues and Georgia Territorial Act disputes.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Melissa was employed by Southern Company subsidiaries, where she obtained a broad understanding of the electric utility industry through her participation in Georgia Power's Professional Development program where she completed rotations in Distribution, General Resource Planning, Transmission Planning, and Financial Reporting at Georgia Power and Financial Reporting and Regulatory Accounting at Gulf Power Company. Upon graduation from the Professional Development Program, Melissa joined Georgia Power's Regulatory Accounting organization where she supported the Company in base rate case and numerous generation resource certification proceedings. Melissa's prior utility and regulatory accounting experience is a further asset to her clients in providing them with legal advice.
Melissa holds a Bachelor of Science in Management, Minor in International Affairs and Certificate in Accounting from the Georgia Institute of Technology where she graduated with Highest Honors. Melissa received her juris doctorate degree from Georgia State University.
- Counseled and prepared numerous client witnesses for participation in state regulatory proceedings.
- Assisted client in obtaining state regulatory approval of a natural gas/electric utility merger involving several state jurisdictions.
- Assisted a client with obtaining verification and approval of costs in nuclear construction monitoring proceedings and approval of new cost forecasts.
- Assisted client in drafting form agreement for rooftop solar installations.
- Assisted client in drafting and executing distributed generation power purchase agreements, amendments, and contract administration and enforcement matters for one of the largest voluntary renewable programs in the country.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Energy Bar Association
- Member, Women’s Energy Network, Greater Atlanta
- Board of Directors, Women's Energy Network, Greater Atlanta (2015)