Megan Rahman's practice focuses primarily on providing advice and support to individuals and corporations across the country responding to regulatory, civil and criminal investigations. She has substantial experience in conducting internal corporate investigations, representing clients in agency investigations, and handling federal and state criminal and civil litigation. Megan has handled matters for clients under investigation for government contracting fraud, embezzlement, securities fraud, tax and bank fraud, money laundering, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the False Claims Act. In the context of corporate compliance matters, Megan also advises clients on regulatory and legislative matters related to U.S. national security, including CFIUS notifications.
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected as one of Virginia Lawyers Media’s “Influential Women of Virginia” for 2014.
- Selected as a Virginia "Rising Star" in Business Litigation by Law & Politics' Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine (2007, 2008, 2009).
- Selected as a Virginia “Rising Star” in Criminal Defense: White Collar by Law & Politics' Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine (2010, 2011).
- Represented a financial institution under parallel investigations by the SEC and federal grand jury for alleged securities fraud, bank fraud, and embezzlement.
- Represented a European based company in connection with FCPA due diligence process associated with Africa-based asset acquisition.
- Represented officers and inside directors of a financial institution taken over by the FDIC against claims of financial mismanagement and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Represented a national wholesale distribution company in False Claims Act action alleging violations of the Buy American Act and the Trade Agreements Act.
- Represented tobacco wholesaler in connection with criminal prosecution of multiple defendants for state tax avoidance scheme.
- Represented state lending institution in False Claims Act action alleging improper charges to the U.S. Department of Education student loan program.
- Represented national mortgage lender in multi-state Attorney General investigation for alleged fraud.
- Represented international manufacturer in connection with investigation of theft of trade secrets.
- Represented national manufacturer of military equipment in government contracting fraud investigation conducted by the Department of Criminal Investigative Services.
- Represented suppliers in connection with military procurement fraud investigations.
- Co-Author, Troutman Sanders Advisory, “Revisions to United States Attorney Manual Underscore DOJ’s New Push for Individual Accountability,” November 2015
- Co-Author, Troutman Sanders Advisory, “Court of Appeals Upholds $237M Judgment Against Tuomey Healthcare System,” July 2015
- Co-Author, “Troutman Sanders Advisory, “Cooperation and Proactive Compliance Pay Off in FCPA Investigations,” May 2013
- Co-Author, Troutman Sanders Advisory, “Canadian Companies Face Exposure From the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,” April 2013
- Co-Author, Troutman Sanders Advisory, "Executive Convicted of Bribery Under FCPA Based Only on Circumstantial Evidence," January 2012
- Co-Author, Troutman Sanders Advisory, "7th Circuit Ruling Expands Rights of Whistleblowers to Sue their Employers," January 2012.
- Co-Author, Troutman Sanders Advisory, "Government Continues Aggressive Use of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," November 2010.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Virginia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Board Member, YWCA of Richmond
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2012-present
- Of Counsel, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2010-2011
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1999-2009
- Law Clerk, Honorable James R. Spencer, United States District Judge, Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia, 1998-1999
- University of Richmond, J.D., cum laude, 1998
- University of North Carolina, B.A., 1995
Supreme Court of Virginia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia