Kiran Mehta focuses his practice on representing clients in complex business litigation and multi-party litigation matters, including corporate and commercial disputes; securities and antitrust litigation; disputes related to private equity investments; construction litigation as well as real estate and land use litigation; ERISA litigation; product liability, false and deceptive advertising, toxic tort, pharmaceutical, mass tort and environmental litigation.
In addition, Mehta has broad experience in the energy industry, representing operating utilities of the nation’s largest electric power holding company in significant matters before state regulatory commissions, including rate proceedings, energy efficiency and wholesale/retail power interface proceedings, and other regulatory matters. He has particular expertise with respect to the financial aspects of the industry, including rate of return and capital structure.He is widely recognized as one of the premier litigation attorneys in North Carolina, and has been consistently honored as such by multiple legal ratings agencies, such as Chambers USA, SuperLawyers, and North Carolina Legal Elite. He was also named as “Lawyer of the Year” in 2012 and 2015 for Charlotte-area environmental litigation, and “Lawyer of the Year” in 2014 for Charlotte-area construction litigation, by Best Lawyers in America®.
- Represented public company in class action suit challenging merger transaction.
- Represented public company in class action suit alleging securities fraud in the issuance of company’s equity securities.
- Represented public company in design patent infringement suit against competitor.
- Represented snack food company in multiple class action suits alleging false and deceptive product labeling arising from “Natural” label on food products.
- Represented software company in Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, unfair competition, copyright, and trademark, suit against competitor.
- Represented franchisee/shareholder in multi-jurisdiction dispute with franchisor involving breach of fiduciary duty, unfair and deceptive trade practice, and other business tort claims.
- Represented manufacturer of high-end furniture in suit against dealer in connection with claims arising from dealer termination for violation of manufacturer’s internet commerce policies.
- Represented merchant power plant owner/operator in suit brought by neighborhood group alleging negligence and nuisance in connection with the operation of the plant.
- Represented utility in multiple suits arising from dam removal controversy.
- Represented multi-national chemical manufacturing company in suit arising from acquisition of rival chemical manufacturer.
- Represented multi-national equipment leasing company in earn-out dispute with acquired company.
- Represented two private equity arms of major financial institutions in suit arising from sale of portfolio company; claims brought by recalcitrant member in portfolio company were virtually all dismissed by North Carolina Business Court.
- Represented portfolio company of private equity firm in series of suits and arbitration proceedings alleging that portfolio company (a franchisor) had fraudulently induced franchisees to enter into franchise agreements.
- Represented private equity fund in connection with multi-million dollar misrepresentation/ negligence/indemnification claim against former shareholders and auditors of entity acquired by fund.
- Obtained permanent injunction in pro bono National Environmental Policy Act case against the United States Navy on behalf of two Eastern North Carolina counties to prevent construction of an outlying landing field.
- Represented major investor-owned public utility in multiple matters before state utilities regulatory commission and on appeal from commission decisions in the North Carolina appellate courts.
- Represented multi-national corporation in International Chamber of Commerce arbitration arising from disputes in connection with the construction, repair, and maintenance of the ARCOS ring, a fiber optic cable linking and providing telecommunications service to fifteen nations in the Caribbean basin.
- Represented publicly held company in suit brought by competitor company alleging tortious interference with contract, breach of contract, and unfair trade practices in connection with acquisition targeted by our client and competitor; outcome generated definitive opinion by North Carolina Business Court on letters of intent in North Carolina.
- Represented multi-national engineering/start-up subcontractor in connection with multi-million dollar claim for payment arising from construction of cogeneration power plant, and defense of multi-million dollar delay and defective work claim by contractor.
- Represented plaintiffs in a class action alleging violation of ERISA in connection with amendments to a pension plan following leveraged buyout of publicly held multi-national corporation; suit resulted in largest class action settlement then on record in North Carolina.
- Represented multi-state developer in suit brought by environmental activist groups challenging, based upon alleged violations of the Endangered Species Act and National Environmental Policy Act, high-end lakefront residential development project.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Moderated the “State Regulator Panel” at Infocast Transmission Summit in 2013 and 2014
- “How to Keep the Deal You Think You’ve Negotiated,” CLE presentation to Association of Corporate Counsel, Charlotte Chapter, September, 2011
- “A 'Consumer Guide' to Selecting International Arbitration Forums,” CLE presentation to North Carolina Bar Association 2011 Business Law, Corporate Counsel and International Law and Practice Sections Joint Annual Meeting, February, 2011
- “CDO and CDS Litigation Trends,” CLE presentation, May, 2009
- “International Dispute Resolution,” CLE presentation to North Carolina Bar Association, International Law Section, April, 2009
- “Navigating Today's Deal Environment,” CLE presentation, March 2007
- “Hazardous Waste: RCRA/CERCLA Workshop - CERCLA/RCRA Update,” presented to North Carolina Bar Association, Environmental Section, 1996
- “A Primer on Environmental Law,” presented to the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, 1995
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Construction Litigation Committee, Member, 1999-present
- Board Member, Justice Initiatives, Inc.
- Board Member, Legal Services of the Southern Piedmont
- Hazardous Waste/Superfund Committee, Environmental Section, Chair, 1992-1994
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Civil Courts Committee, 1994
- North Carolina Bar Association, Environmental Section Council, 1994-1997
- Charlotte Swim & Racquet Club, Board of Directors, 1991-1996; President, 1994-1996
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg School System, Superintendent's Council, 1999
- Christ Episcopal Church, Peace & Justice Committee, Outreach Commission, Engaged Couples Workshop, Lay Reader, 1982-present
- Community School of the Arts, Board of Directors, 1997-2007
- Harvard Law School Association of North Carolina, President, 1996-2012
Rankings and Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Construction Litigation, Environmental Litigation, Mergers and Acquisitions Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America, “Lawyer of the Year – Environmental Litigation” (2012, 2017)
- Best Lawyers in America, “Lawyer of the Year – Construction Litigation” (2014-2016)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Business Litigation
- Legal Elite, Business North Carolina Magazine, Environmental Law, Litigation
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, Commercial Litigation
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Business Litigation
- Large Firm Pro Bono Services Award, North Carolina Bar Association, 2005
- Named "Guardian of the Environment" by The Charlotte Observer, 2005
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2014-present
- Partner, K&L Gates LLP
- Harvard University, J.D., cum laude, 1981
- Cornell University, A.B., magna cum laude, 1978
Phi Beta Kappa
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina