Chair - Energy and Industry Regulation
Executive Committee Member
Kevin Greene focuses his practice on advising and representing utilities before state regulatory commissions. Kevin has a broad range of experience advising corporate executives and representing energy companies and utilities in retail rate cases, fuel cost recovery cases, integrated resource planning matters, plant certification matters, rule makings and other matters of importance to regulated utilities. He has advised clients concerning the development of nuclear, coal and gas fired power plants and on co-owner relationships and has advised utilities on the development of alternative generation and demand side programs. He is regulatory counsel to Georgia Power Company and Southern Company.
- Lead counsel to Georgia Power Company in its 2010, 2007, 2004, 2001, 1998 and 1995 general retail rate cases.
- Counsel to Duke Energy Carolinas in its application to certify two pulverized coal units.
- Counsel to Georgia Power Company and Duke Energy Carolinas in connection with their separate applications before their respective state regulatory agencies for recovery of and accounting for early development costs related to the development of nuclear power plants.
- Counsel to Georgia Power Company and Savannah Electric Power Company before the state regulatory commission in connection with their merger.
- Lead counsel to Georgia Power Company in its 2007, 2004, 2001, 1998, 1995 and 1992 integrated resource planning dockets.
- Counsel to Georgia Power Company in connection with the development and implementation by the state commission of bidding rules to be used when issuing requests for proposals for new generating capacity, the implementation of a commission sponsored independent evaluator, and with the review supplier responses in response such request for proposals.
- Counsel to Georgia Power in its several requests to certify power plants and power purchase agreements.
- Counsel to Southern Company Gas in connection with various rulemakings, notices of inquiry and proceedings to review capacity supply plans.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- Energy Bar Association, Southern Chapter President (2006)
- Board of Directors, Catholic Charities, Archdiocese of Atlanta
Rankings and Recognition
- Recognized as one of America's Leading Lawyers for Energy and Natural Resources by Chambers USA (2005, 2009-2015), Star Individual (2016).
- Named “Atlanta Energy Lawyer of the Year" for 2011 by Best Lawyers.
- Selected as a Super Lawyer in Energy by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine (2004-2016); Selected for inclusion in the May/June 2010 Law & Politics’ Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition.
- Named to the Top Rated Lawyers Guide to Energy/Environmental/Natural Resources Law (2012).
- Achieved Martindale-Hubbell's highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards.
- Named to Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite in Business Law (2013).
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Public Utility Law, Energy Law, Administrative/Regulatory Law (1995-2017).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1986-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1979-1985
- Law Clerk to The Honorable Charles A. Moye, Jr., Chief Judge, U.S. District Court, N.D. Ga., 1977-1979
- Catholic University of America, J.D., 1977
- University of Maryland, B.A., 1974
with highest honors
District of Columbia
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Georgia Court of Appeals
Supreme Court of Georgia