Jonathan P. Floyd is an associate in the Troutman Sanders’ Consumer Financial Services practice, with a primary focus on Financial Services Litigation. His practice includes the representation of clients in federal and state court, both at the trial and appellate level. Jonathan focuses his practice on the areas of complex litigation, financial services litigation and consumer litigation, and has represented clients within these areas in a wide variety of litigation matters involving class actions, contracts, torts, products liability and federal and state consumer protection laws.
- Counsel for Fortune 1000 coal mining corporation in personal injury action. Obtained dismissal of all claims at motion to dismiss stage.
- Counsel for Fortune 500 cosmetics company in complex products liability action.
- Counsel for Fortune 200 electric utility in multiple industrial accident lawsuits.
- Counsel for Health System with respect to physician recruitment agreement lawsuit.
Financial Services Litigation
- Counsel for regional banking corporation with respect to claims of breach of fiduciary duty and breach of trust.
- Counsel for regional banking corporation with respect to claims of inflated mortgage appraisals.
- Counsel for regional banking corporation with respect to claims asserted under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”).
- Counsel for regional banking corporation with respect to claims asserted under the West Virginia Consumer Credit Protection Act (“WVCCPA”).
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Co-author, "Future FCC Leadership Could Mean Big Changes For TCPA," Law360, January 10, 2017.
- Author, “Applying Twombly and Iqbal's Plausibility Standard to Affirmative Defenses in West Virginia Federal Courts”, Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia, April 2014
- Moderator, General Counsel Expectations for Young Lawyers, West Virginia Bar Association, January 2014
- Panelist, Legal Recruiting and Interview Practices, Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia, 2012
- Co-Author, An Unreasonable Example of Reasonable Alternative Design? - Osorio v. One World Technologies, Inc., Law360, November 2011
Professional and Community Involvement
- Virginia State Bar
- West Virginia State Bar
- Board of Directors, Higher Ground, USA
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected as a “Rising Star” in General Litigation by Virginia & West Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine (2014-2015).
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2016-present
- Staff Attorney, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2015-2016
- Associate Attorney, Jackson Kelly PLLC, 2011-2015
- West Virginia University, J.D., 2011
- Georgia College & State University, M.Ed., 2006
- Berry College, B.S., 2004