John McPhaul’s practice focuses on representation of commercial lending institutions, including major national, regional and local banking institutions, as well as borrowers, in a variety of financing transactions, including secured and unsecured commercial credit facilities, real estate acquisition, development and construction loans, term and revolving loans, loan workouts, restructurings and refinances and other related matters. John also regularly represents financial institutions in connection with commercial foreclosures throughout Virginia.
- Represented an agent bank in a $400 million syndicated construction loan for re-development of the Southwest Waterfront of Washington, D.C. as a mixed use development.
- Counsel to national bank, as administrative agent, in connection with a $75 million syndicated construction loan to finance the construction of a mixed-use residential and retail development in Falls Church, Virginia.
- Counsel to a large regional bank, as administrative agent, in connection with a $45 million syndicated construction loan to finance a retail development in Newport News, Virginia.
- Counsel to a number of multi-family lenders in connection with bridge loans secured by multi-family projects throughout the country.
- Counsel to a national bank for the refinance of existing debt secured by a residential Historic Tax Credit (HTC) project in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
- Counsel to a national bank, as agent for itself and other lenders, in regard to syndicated construction financing in the aggregate amount of approximately $200 million secured by an office tower in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Counsel to a national bank for the refinance of a commercial office building in downtown Washington, D.C.
- Counsel to a national bank and a large regional bank in connection with multiple term loans, each secured by multiple properties located throughout the country, including retail, hotel and other properties.
- Counsel to a regional bank in a series of term loans secured by commercial retail shopping centers.
- Counsel to a local bank in connection with a $30 million construction loan for a mixed-use condominium in Old Town, Alexandria.
- Counsel to several lenders in successful workout/restructuring of loans secured by real estate.
- Counsel to national bank in connection with the foreclosure of several entire subdivisions, including a subdivision in Virginia Beach, Virginia, containing approximately 90 finished lots and over 300 acres of partially-developed and undeveloped land.
- Counsel to multiple lenders in connection with tenant, leasing and management issues with respect to the leasing and operation of the lenders’ collateral.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
Rankings and Recognition
- Virginia "Rising Star" in Banking by Law & Politics' Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine (2008-2016).
- Recognized as a member of Virginia’s “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business magazine in Business Law (2015-2016).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2014-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2004-2013
- University of Richmond, J.D., summa cum laude, 2004
Westwood Smithers Award for Graduating First in the Class of 2004
Lead Articles Editor, University of Richmond Law Review
CALI book awards in Property, Environmental Law, Lawyering Skills I & III, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Real Estate Finance
McNeill Law Society
- University of Virginia, B.A., 2001