Jeff Kelley concentrates his law practice in the area of Chapter 11 bankruptcy and reorganization and related restructuring. His practice also includes a wide variety of commercial litigation arising out of or related to commercial bankruptcies or insolvencies.
- Lead debtors’ counsel in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of Wolf Camera, Inc. and Allied Holdings, Inc. (N.D. Ga.) and Allied Systems Holdings, Inc. (DEL).
- Counsel to the Official Committee of Equity Holders and to the ensuing liquidating trust in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case of CDC Corp. (N.D. Ga.).
- Special counsel for debtors and to the ensuing liquidating trust in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case of Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corp. (M.D. Fla.).
- Counsel for Foreign Representative in the Chapter 15 bankruptcy case of Grant Forest Products, Inc. (DEL.).
- Counsel to insolvent, not-for-profit hospital in out of court restructuring/sale.
- Counsel to a bank holding company in involuntary bankruptcy filed by holders of TruPS.
- Counsel for numerous secured lenders and DIP lenders in a wide variety of chapter 11 cases (e.g. Sea Island Company (S.D. GA); Maronda Homes (PA); Bill Heard Enterprises (AL); Security National Properties (DEL); Brier Creek Corporate Center Associates (NC); Newcare (MA); South Fulton Hospital (GA); Bland Farms (GA); Publix Distributing and Lionel Wilde (GA); Jack Keller (GA); Raleigh Federal (NC) Maryland Farms (TN); Century Springs East (GA); Fountainhead of Virginia Beach (VA)).
- Special counsel to debtors and trustees in bankruptcy—related litigation (e.g. Gainesville-PH Properties (FL); Nationwide Furniture (GA)).
- Counsel for large unsecured creditors (e.g. Commodore Electronics (NY and Bahamas)).
- Counsel for corporate trustees in defaulted bond issues (e.g. Visionland Chapter 9 (AL); Mutual Benefit Life rehabilitation (NJ)).
- Counsel to both lenders and borrowers on bankruptcy issues related to deal structures.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- ABI Task Force on Plan Confirmation: Recommendations for Sales Cases, Panelist at ABI Spring Meeting (2015).
- ICLE in Georgia Panelist; Acquisition of the Distressed or Bankrupt Company (2013).
- ICLE in Georgia Panelist, Dead Dirt: Bankruptcy 101 for Real Estate Practitioners (2009, 2012).
- ICLE in Georgia Panelist, Hot Topics in Real Estate Restructuring and §363 Sales (2007).
- ICLE in Georgia Panelist, The KERP Phenomenon and the Road Ahead (2006).
- ABA Section of Business Spring Meetings, Lender Liability Updates (2007, 2009).
- Georgia Bankers Association Panelist, Feeling “Subprime?” Seeing Another Side of “Participation?” What To Do When Loans Go Bad (2007).
- University of Illinois College of Law, Great American Cities (2007).
- ABI Southeast Workshop Moderator, After the 363 Sale, And Now the Rest of the Story (2014)
- ABI Southeast Workshop Panelist, When Bankruptcy and Criminal Law Collide (2013)
- ABI Southeast Workshop Panel Moderator, Stern v. Marshall – One Year Later (2012).
- ABI Southeast Workshop Panel Moderator, In Pari Delicto (2011).
- ABI Southeast Workshop Panel Moderator, Dead Dealers: Problems and Challenges with Auto-dealer Insolvencies (2009).
- ABI Southeast Workshop Panel Moderator, Employee Distress-What About My Retirement (Defined Benefit Pension Plans in Bankruptcy) (2006).
- ABI Southeast Workshop Panel Moderator, Developments in Banking and Commercial Law Affecting Bankruptcy Law Professionals (2005).
- AIRA Panelist, Emerging Issues in Chapter 11 (2002).
- ACB Panelist, Proposed Bankruptcy Reform Act (2002).
- CLE Panelist, The Intersection of Bankruptcy Law and Environmental Law (1992).
- In re Grant Forest Products, Inc.: Chapter 15 Allows Court to Recognize Solution to Recurring Tax Return Issue, XXX ABI Journal 42-43 (2011).
- Chapters on Section 361 of the Bankruptcy Code (Adequate Protection) Norton Annual Surveys of Bankruptcy Law, 1991-1997.
- “A Rock and a Hard Place, Bankruptcy Waivers in Loan Workouts,” ABA Banking Journal, October 1995.
- “New Restrictions on the Statutory Employer Rule,” 21 Georgia Bar Journal 94.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy (Pro Bono Committee)
- Master of the Bench, Georgia Bankruptcy American Inn of Court (Membership Committee)
- Southeastern Bankruptcy Law Institute - Director Emeritus
- American Bar Association (Chairman, Lender Liability Subcommittee of the CFS, 2007-2009; Editorial Board, Commercial and Business Litigation Newsletter, 2000-2002)
- American Bankruptcy Institute (Southeastern Workshop Advisory Board 2005-2014; Model Plan and Disclosure Statement Task Force, 2014-2015)
- University of Georgia Board of Visitors
- State Bar of Georgia (Mentor, Pilot Project on Transition into Practice)
Rankings and Recognition
- Ranked as one of America's Leading Lawyers for Bankruptcy and Restructuring Law by Chambers USA (2010-2016).
- Selected as a Super Lawyer in Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine (2004-2017); Selected for inclusion in the July/August 2010 Law & Politics’ Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition.
- Named to Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite in Bankruptcy Law.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency (2006-2017), Commercial Litigation (2015-2017) and Reorganization Law, Litigation - Bankruptcy (2011-2017).
- Listed in Who's Who Legal: Georgia (Insolvency).
- Senior Counsel, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2017-Present
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2004-2016
- Partner, Powell, Goldstein, Frazer & Murphy LLP, 1982-2003
- Associate, Powell, Goldstein, Frazer & Murphy LLP, 1975-1982
- University of Illinois, J.D., 1975
Phi Delta Phi
- David Lipscomb College, B.A., cum laude, 1971
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Georgia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit