Fletcher has over 30 years of experience in complex business litigation. He is a versatile trial lawyer with a well honed skill of integrating the facts and the law with a communication approach focused on the judge/jury, while never losing sight the client’s business objectives. He is described by clients as “detailed,” “intuitive” and “inventive.” As one opposing counsel stated:
“I consider you one of the best opponents I have faced in over 26 years. Once you took over the case, your clients established leverage they never had before. Without your representation, I doubt we would have been able to bring this matter to a close.”
Fletcher has significant trial experience at all levels of federal and state court. His diverse experience covers a wide range of business issues including trade secret and intellectual property litigation, cyber theft, unfair competition, antitrust and class action litigation as well as the more traditional areas of corporate and real estate litigation. This experience branches into advising companies on matters of risk assessment and corporate governance.
Fletch is also working with the San Diego Regional Economic Development Corporation; a non-profit focused on the economic development of the region and is a member of its Economic Development Committee. He is also on the Leadership Trust of Lead San Diego, a non-profit focused on the development of community leaders. Examples of Fletcher’s trial experience are:
- Trade Secrets, Cyber Theft & Intellectual Property: Lead trial counsel in a successful five-week jury trial against former corporate officers and key competitor regarding stolen trade secrets and confidential information. Lead counsel in the successful defense of former founder and corporate officers in misappropriation and alleged cyber theft of trade secrets. Lead trial counsel in the successful pursuit of wrongful competition claims by the co-owner of a patent for wrongful use of the patent.
- Business Torts: Co-lead trial counsel in a three month jury trial in the successful prosecution of claims by a plaintiff director/shareholder in claims for defamation, interference with contract and breach of contract. Co-lead trial counsel in three-month jury trial in San Francisco Superior Court in successful defense of corporate defendant in defamation, breach of contract and sex discrimination in a “glass ceiling” lawsuit. Lead trial counsel in successful prosecution of claims for breach of fiduciary duty, cyber theft and embezzlement against a former corporate officer.
- Antitrust: Co-counsel in conjunction with 9 figure+ claim for monopoly and price fixing antitrust claims against a series of Fortune 500 companies.
- Real Estate Acquisition, Construction and Debt/Guarantor: Extensive experience in: (a) Real estate purchase and joint venture agreements; and (b) Construction contracts, payment and defective construction issues. Engagement in over $750 million in real estate troubled debt and distressed asset issues including extensive experience in anti-deficiency and guarantor defenses.
- Energy: Lead trial counsel in 22-day arbitration claim involving establishment and operation of a wind energy farm and litigation of claims concerning the design and installation of wind turbines. Retained to advise on the construction of a 588 MW gas fired power plant.
- Bankruptcy Litigation: Several bankruptcy trials involving relief from stay, debtor and creditor claims, creditor claims seeking to remove key assets from the bankruptcy estate, and co-lead counsel in a proceeding for the confirmation of the Debtor’s “cram down” plan of reorganization.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Leadership TRUST, LEAD San Diego, Member
- INFLUENCE San Diego, A LEAD San Diego Program, Class of 2013
Rankings and Recognition
- Achieved an AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
- Recognized as a Top Lawyer in San Diego by San Diego Magazine (2013).
- Selected as a San Diego Super Lawyer in Business Litigation (2008, 2009, 2010).
- Selected as Law Dragon 3000 Leading Lawyer (2007).
- Selected as a Law Dragon 500 Leading Lawyer (2007).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2009-present
- Partner, Ross, Dixon & Bell, LLP, 1999-2008
- Partner, Miller, Boyko & Bell, LLP, 1986-1999
- Associate, Miller, Boyko & Bell, LLP, 1977-1986
- California Western School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1977
Member, Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity
Law Review Board of Editors, California Western Law Review
- Allegheny College, B.A., 1972
- Harvard Law School Program of Negotiation, 2005
U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States