Erin Watstein is a member of the Construction and Healthcare practices at Troutman Sanders LLP. Her construction practice focuses primarily on the prosecution and defense of construction claims in court or before arbitration panels and the negotiation and drafting of construction contracts and associated documents. Erin also advises clients on public-private partnerships (P3s or PPPs) and other infrastructure development matters. Erin represents nationally and world-prominent construction and energy clients, including owners, contractors and subcontractors, design professionals, architects, and material suppliers in matters involving utility and infrastructure construction, power plants, manufacturing and processing plants, high rise office buildings and apartments, and other complex projects. She has obtained favorable results for clients at every stage of the litigation process.
Erin’s healthcare practice focuses on the representation of insurers, including one of Georgia’s largest Medicaid care management organizations, in litigation at all levels of Georgia Courts and at the Georgia Office of State Administrative Hearings. Erin has represented insurance clients in over 100 matters encompassing the full spectrum of healthcare legal issues
- Representation of a leading boiler designer and manufacturer in multi-party arbitration involving in excess of $500 million in claims related to supply and erection of 700 MW Benson OTU boiler. Project is the largest privately funded construction project in West Virginia history.
- Successful Representation of Georgia insurers in over 100 matters at all levels of the Georgia Courts and in front of Administrative Law Judges at the Georgia Office of State Administrative Hearings. Representations include issues of compliance, recoupment, reimbursement, and medical necessity.
- Representation of a large electric utility in federal court litigation involving design and construction of two new nuclear units with combined 2430 MW output at existing facility. New units are the first to utilize Generation III + reactors as well as the first new commercial units constructed in the past three decades.
- Representation of a major US producer of sodium bicarbonate products in arbitration involving over $15 million in claims related to a multi-million dollar expansion of a processing facility. Representation of a major power plant constructor, manufacturer, and designer in arbitration involving in excess of $100 million in claims related to supply of CFB boiler to Louisiana utility.
- Representation of an electric utility in defense of private CERCLA contribution and cost recovery action arising from PCB contamination.
- Responsible for the drafting, negotiation, and review of larger construction contracts for one of the nation’s largest utilities.
- Advisor to developer pursuing a P3 involving infrastructure improvements and major commercial development.
- Representation of leading developer in litigation and mediation involving over $50 million in claims related to the design and construction of modular apartment tower.
- Lead contract counsel for self-taxing district in the state of Georgia focused on accelerating needed transportation and infrastructure projects.
- Contract counsel for owner-developer in construction of wood pellet production plant.
- Construction contract counsel for national independent wealth management firm in design and construction of new office headquarters.
- Won summary judgment in favor of a Georgia Medicaid CMO in litigation involving the validity of a licensing agreement.
- Administrative Law, Annual Survey of Georgia Law, 67 Mercer L. Review 1 (2015).
- Administrative Law, Annual Survey of Georgia Law, 66 Mercer L. Review 1 (2014).
- Recent Court of Appeals Ruling Establishes Personal Liability for Construction Company Obligations,” Construction Law Newsletter & Georgia Construction Law Update - Atlanta Bar Association, Spring 2015.
- “California’s Internet Eraser Law: A Clean Slate for Teens?” Information Intersection, January 24, 2014.
- “New York Attorneys Given Green Light to Address Client Social Media Issues,” Information Intersection, October 18, 2013.
- “Discovery Rules – Change is Coming,” Information Intersection, June 26, 2013.
- “Down in the Dumps – The Potentially Costly Consequences of Drowning The Other Side in Data,” Information Intersection, January 4, 2013.
- “ABA to Lawyers – “Ignorance of Technology is not an Excuse” Information Intersection, November 5, 2012.
- “'Waive'-ing Goodbye to Privilege Protection,” Information Intersection, September 25, 2012.
- “'Training' the System: The Benefits, Risks and Practical Applications of Predictive Coding,” Information Intersection, August 16, 2012.
- “Potential Conflicts Between the Duty to Cooperate With Respect to Pre-Trial ESI Discovery and the Duty to Protect Privileged Information,” Information Intersection, July 12, 2012.
- “Facebook ‘Likes’ – Protected Speech or Not?” Information Intersection, May 31, 2012.
- “Cost Shifting in E-Discovery: Will it be Available to You?” Information Intersection, May 3, 2012.
- “Hal and me: Accepting technology’s imperfections,” The National Law Journal, August 22, 2011 (Co-author).
- “A Feast of Facebook,” Information Intersection, December 2, 2010.
- “'The Social Network' – Now Available at Your Local Courthouse,” Information Intersection, October 21, 2010.
- “How True is That Voodoo? Authenticating Internet Sources of ESI,” Information Intersection, October 8, 2010.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “2015 eDiscovery Overview & Trends,” Presenter, Atlanta, Georgia, February 23, 2016.
- “Technology Assisted Review and Predictive Coding,” Presenter, Atlanta, Georgia, August 25, 2015.
- “2014 eDiscovery Overview & Trends,” Presenter, Atlanta, Georgia, January 21, 2015.
- “In the trenches: eDiscovery War Stories,” Presenter, Atlanta, Georgia, October 28, 2014.
- “eDiscovery 101: Practical Pointers & Essential Knowledge,” Presenter, Atlanta, Georgia, November 20, 2013.
- “eDiscovery Case Law Update and Trends,” Presenter, Atlanta, Georgia, January 9, 2013.
- “eDiscovery 101: What Every Litigator Needs to Know Presenter,” Atlanta, Georgia, April 19, 2011.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Atlanta Bar Association
- University of Florida Alumni Association
- Georgetown University Alumni Association
- Barrister, Lamar Inn of Court
- Editorial Board, Information Intersection
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected as a Fellow of the Construction Lawyers Society of America (2017).
- Selected as a Rising Star in Construction Law by Georgia Super Lawyers (2017).
- Named to Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite in Real Estate & Construction Law (2016).
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2010-present
- University of Florida, J.D., cum laude, 2009
Order of the Coif
Staff member, Florida Law Review
- Georgetown University, B.S., cum laude, 2006