Eric Koontz represents clients in a variety of corporate and securities transactions, including public offerings and private placements of debt, equity and hybrid securities, mergers and acquisitions, and alternative investments. Eric devotes a significant amount of his practice to representing public utilities in corporate and project-related financing transactions. Eric also has substantial experience advising public companies with respect to securities disclosure and corporate governmental matters.
- Representation of issuers in numerous public offerings and private placements of debt and hybrid securities, including fixed, floating rate and extendible senior debt securities, subordinated debt securities with hybrid features and non-cumulative preferred and preference stock. 2016 and 2015 transactions include:
- Public offering of $8.5 billion of senior notes issued by energy services holding company to fund acquisition of another energy services holding company
- Public offering of $1.0 billion of NYSE-listed junior subordinated notes to retail investors
- Public offering of €1.1 billion of euro-dominated “green bonds" issued by wholesale generation subsidiary of public utility holding company to fund solar and wind projects
- Public offerings of $4.1 billion of senior unsecured debt securities issued by electric and gas utilities
- Private placement of $150 million of senior notes secured by first mortgage bonds issued by gas utility
- Representation of issuers in public offerings of equity securities, including traditional underwritings at-the market offerings and dividend reinvestment and direct purchase programs.
- Representation of borrowers in syndicated and bilateral credit facilities and commercial paper programs, including unsecured 364-day and long-term revolving and term loan credit facilities 2016 and 2015 transactions include:
- $8.1 billion acquisition commitment letter and definitive bridge credit agreement for acquisition of publicly-held energy services holding company
- $7.1 billion of multi-year syndicated revolving credit facilities involving electric and gas utilities and related utility holding companies
- $2.0 billion of syndicated and bilateral term loan agreements involving electric utilities
- $1.0 billion commercial paper program established by U.S. discount retailer
- Representation of investor-owned utilities in numerous tax-exempt bond issuances relating to pollution control and solid waste disposal projects, including long-term fixed rate bonds, variable rate demand bonds, and 13-month and other "put" bonds.
- Representation of utility issuers in project-related financings, including:
- Representation of investor-owned utility in connection with the first loan guarantee ($3.4 billion) issued by the Department of Energy under the nuclear loan guarantee program
- Representation of non-regulated subsidiary of utility holding company in private placements of mortgage-style senior notes secured by leases relating to newly constructed natural gas-fired generating units
- Representation of investor-owned utilities in connection with utility tariff bond securitization transactions.
- Representation of issuers in securities repurchase transactions, including a "Dutch Auction" tender offer for equity securities as part of a leveraged recapitalization, accelerated share repurchase transactions involving equity securities and tender offers for debt securities.
- Representation of television broadcasting company in the acquisition of 15 network-affiliated television stations for $515 million.
- Representation of specialty retailer in a $250 million tender offer acquisition of a publicly-held jewelry retailer.
- Representation of a privately-held real estate investment firm in a roll-up transaction involving more than 50 super market-anchored shopping centers and a concurrent $100 million convertible senior notes credit facility.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board of Directors, Diabetes Association of Atlanta, Inc.
- Board of Directors, American Red Cross, Metropolitan Atlanta Chapter (2007-2013)
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected as a Leading Lawyer in Energy, Electricity (Finance) - Nationwide by Chambers USA (2015-2016) and Chambers Global (2017).
- Selected as a Leading Lawyer in Energy - Georgia - by Chambers USA (2016).
- Selected as a Leading Lawyer in Corporate/M&A Law - Georgia by Chambers USA (2011-2015).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2007-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1999-2006
- University of North Carolina, J.D., with high honors, 1999
- Robert Morris College, B.S., magna cum laude, 1996