Capital-intensive industries such as transportation, renewable energy and software depend upon the ability to efficiently finance equipment and services. Troutman Sanders has advised clients on equipment leasing and finance matters for more than 50 years. We focus on understanding our clients’ businesses and providing timely and efficient support. Our lawyers regularly assist banks, equipment operators, independent leasing companies, funds, captive finance companies, manufacturers, vendors, dealers, distributors and lessees.
We work closely with our clients to structure equipment transactions, such as the following, that meet their specific needs:
- Large, middle-market and small-ticket leases
- Equipment finance agreements
- Global vendor programs
- Lender financing programs (including warehouse lines of credit, CP conduit transactions, term securitizations and other credit facilities for lessors)
- Lease syndication programs, lease portfolio acquisitions and asset-backed transactions
- Remarketing arrangements
- Bundling of equipment leases (combining leases with software licensing and service agreements)
We prepare operating manual forms and other documentation for our clients, and advise them on regulatory, tax and policy matters affecting the leasing and equipment finance industry.
Our professionals also advise clients on the bundling of equipment and service-related items, regularly structuring and preparing global outsource facilities for lifecycle hardware and software financing, maintenance and service, as well as technology-transfer arrangements, joint venture, and other strategic alliance agreements. We work with the financing, equipment, software and servicing partners in transactions to create a comprehensive solution to an end user’s needs.
Troutman Sanders represents clients in the lease-syndication market and the acquisition of equipment leasing and finance operations. We regularly counsel funding sources in connection with secured loans and other investments in equipment in conjunction with specialty finance companies. Our lawyers conduct legal due diligence and prepare document portfolio purchases and asset-backed securitization transactions, including “true sale” and non-consolidation opinion letters.
Please click on one of the following industries for more examples. We have also included a representative list of our international experiences related to equipment leasing and finance.
Our Equipment Leasing and Finance team members are active members and leaders of leasing trade associations, and regularly speak and publish on industry issues. Example leadership positions and publications include the following:
- Members of the board of editors of the Equipment Leasing Journal
- Featured panelist, members and chairs of subcommittees of the Equipment Leasing and Finance Association (ELFA), including State Legislation, Amicus, and Air and Rail subcommittees
- Aircraft Finance Chapter, Lexis-Nexis Commercial Finance Guide, Lexis-Nexis, 2014.
- Expert Guides Best of the Best for the United States and listed in Expert Guides for Aviation
- “Lessons From The Recent Wide-Body Blues,” Expert Guides, United States Aviation Editorial, 2013
- Featured panelist at the MRO Network’s Aircraft & Engine Lease Management Americas Conference in Montreal in October 2013
Beyond equipment leasing and finance, other finance-section core areas include the following: