David Meyers is a partner in the firm's Corporate practice. His practice focuses on the representation of public companies in connection with corporate governance, securities regulation, security offerings and mergers and acquisitions. David’s responsibilities include advising public companies of compliance with federal securities laws, including Sarbanes-Oxley legislation, communicating with and advising senior executives and directors, drafting public disclosure documents and drafting and negotiating public offering documents. David is a member of the American, Virginia and Richmond Bar Associations.
David is a 1995 graduate of the University of Virginia Law School where he served on the Articles Review Board of the Virginia Law Review, and received his B.S. degree with Distinction from the McIntire School of Commerce of the University of Virginia in 1992. He was honored in 2005 as one of Richmond’s “Top Forty Under Forty” award recipients. He served as adjunct professor at the William & Mary School of Law on mergers and acquisitions (2005-2007).
- Advisor to board of directors, board committees and general counsels with respect to corporate governance, Sarbanes-Oxley, NYSE and NASDAQ listing standards, and state fiduciary duties.
- Advisor to public company clients regarding periodic reports and proxy statements required under the federal securities laws and general disclosure issues.
- Served as general outside counsel to one of the largest publicly traded coal companies, providing advice on all aspects of business, including:
- Represented in connection with its $7.1 billion sale to competitor.
- Represented in successful defense against organized director “withhold” vote activist campaign.
- Represented in connection with federal securities laws and disclosure obligations related to its $960 million acquisition of a competitor.
- Represented in connection with $485 million common stock offering related to acquisition of a competitor.
- Represented in connection with $100 million “at-the-market” common stock offering.
- Represented in $1 billion public offering of convertible debt and common stock and related tender offers to repurchase $335 million of debt.
- Represented a synthetic biotechnology company in its $184 million initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange. The company was the highest-valued company at original IPO in the history of biotechnology.
- Designated underwriters counsel for a Fortune 250 energy company and its operating subsidiaries.
- Designated underwriters counsel for a Fortune 500 energy company and its operating subsidiaries.
- Represented a publicly traded energy holding company and its operating subsidiaries in connection with $700 million of registered debt offerings and remarketing of existing registered notes.
- Served as general outside counsel to a publicly traded specialty biopharmaceutical company providing advice on all aspects of business, including:
- In connection with its initial public offering and listing on the NASDAQ National Market.
- In connection with its $140 million offering of convertible debt and related hedging activities.
- In connection with its $2.6 billion sale to a larger competitor.
- Represented a publicly traded graphic communications and contents processing company in connection with federal securities laws and disclosure obligations related to its $430 million sale to a competitor.
- Represented a publicly traded telecommunications company in connection with $660 million sale to two private equity funds and subsequent $750 million self-tender offer, 144A debt offering and IPO of common stock.
- Represented a publicly traded less-than-truckload in connection with federal securities laws and its disclosure obligations related to its $1.25 billion sale to a competitor.
- Co-Author, The Supreme Court’s Recent Omnicare Decision Already Netting Big Results for Issuers, TerraLex Connections, June 2015.
- Author of numerous client memos on federal securities issues, corporate governance and Sarbanes-Oxley legislation.
- Author, "The Merger Tarantella: Considerations in Post-Merger Corporate Governance," Deal Lawyers, July-August 2013.
- Co-author, "Recent trends in initial public offerings: A Milestone Year in the Private Equity Arena," A Financier Worldwide Supplement, December 2005.
- Co-author, "The erosion of the power of the board of directors," Virginia Business Magazine, June 2005.
- Co-author, "2002 Annual Survey of Virginia Law: Corporate Law," University of Richmond Law Review, November 2002.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Corporate Governance 2015: Board and Stockholders," University of Virginia Darden School of Business, Charlottesville, Virginia (September 2015).
- Speaker, "Beyond the Law: Business Lawyers Managing Risk and Compliance," 124th Annual Meeting of the Virginia Bar Association, Williamsburg, Virginia (January 2015)
- Speaker, "Say on Pay Litigation," Registrar and Transfer Company, Eagle Rock Proxy Advisors and Troutman Sanders Webinar (June 2013).
- Speaker, "2012 Proxy Season," 122nd Annual Meeting of the Virginia Bar Association, Williamsburg, Virginia (January 2012).
- Speaker, “2012 Proxy Season,” 13th Annual Fall Forum of the Virginia Bar Association, Richmond, Virginia (October 2011).
- Speaker, "Taking the MD&A Challenge," SEC's Institute 23rd Mid-Year SEC Reporting Forum, San Francisco, California (June 2008).
- Speaker, "The Role of the Corporate Counsel," Washington Metro Association of Corporate Counsel, Richmond, Virginia (May 2008).
- Speaker, "The Endless Search for the Perfect MD&A," SEC Institute’s 23rd Annual SEC Reporting Conference, Washington, D.C. (November 2007).
- Speaker, Troutman Sanders Annual Public Company Seminar, Richmond, Virginia (2006-2013).
- Speaker, "Applying Public Company Governance Rules to Private Companies and Nonprofits," 2007 Annual Meeting of the Virginia Bar Association, Williamsburg, Virginia (January 2007).
- Speaker, "Living with SEC; New Executive Compensation Rules," Mercer Consulting Executive Compensation Conference, Richmond, Virginia (September 2006).
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association: Business Law Section (Committee on Federal Regulation of Securities; Committee on Negotiated Acquisitions)
- Virginia Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Corporate Counsel Section of the Virginia Bar Association (Chairman 2011-2013)
- Board of Directors, Secretary and legal counsel to Historic Richmond Foundation
- Board of Directors, Virginia Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Board of Directors, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Richmond & Tri Cities
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected as a Southern Virginia Leading Lawyer in Corporate/M&A by Chambers USA (2014-2016).
- Selected as one of Richmond’s “Top 40 Under 40” by Style Weekly magazine, September 2005.
- Recognized as a member of Virginia’s “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business magazine in Business Law (2005-2010, 2012, 2014-2016).
- Selected as a Virginia "Rising Star" in Securities & Corporate Finance by Law & Politics' Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine (2006-2009).
- Selected by Law & Politics as a Virginia Super Lawyer in Securities & Corporate Finance (2010-2016).
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Securities/Capital Markets Law (2013-2014).
- Recognized as a Best Lawyers Richmond Securities/Capital Market Law "Lawyer of the Year".
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Corporate Law and Securities/Capital Markets Law (2016).
- Recognized in The Legal 500 United States for Corporate (2015).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2006-present
- Partner, Hunton & Williams LLP, 2003-2006
- Associate, Hunton & Williams LLP, 1995-2003
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Mergers and Acquisitions, William & Mary School of Law, 2005-2007
- University of Virginia, J.D., Order of the Coif; Articles Review Board, Virginia Law Review, 1995
- University of Virginia, B.S., 1992