David Ghegan represents issuers and investment banking firms in a variety of securities and corporate finance transactions, including initial public offerings, follow-on public offerings, public offerings of debt, shelf offerings and private placements. David regularly counsels public and private companies and their boards of directors across a variety of industries in securities disclosure requirements, '34 Act compliance and corporate governance matters, as well as a variety of general corporate matters.
David also has experience in mergers and acquisitions, representing buyers and sellers in negotiating a variety of corporate reorganization transactions, including mergers, asset acquisitions and stock acquisitions.
David devotes a significant amount of his practice representing financial institutions and is experienced in formation and capital raising activities of community banks, mergers and acquisitions, and bank regulatory matters.
- Served as underwriter's counsel in a $225 million subordinated debt offering for Bank of the Ozarks, Inc.
- Served as underwriter's counsel in a $250 million subordinated debt offering for Synovus Financial Corp.
- Represented Inmark Packaging in its recapitalization with Quad-C
- Represented Snyder's-Lance in its $2.2 billion acquisition of Diamond Foods, Inc.
- Served as Placement Agent's counsel in Franklin Financial Network's $20 million subordinated debt offering
- Represented Metro Bancshares in its $40 million acquisition by ServisFirst Bancshares, Inc.
- Served as underwriter’s counsel in ServisFirst’s initial public offering.
- Represented private equity investor in connection with several investments focused on the financial institutions industry.
- Represented PRGX Global in connection with its $40 million follow on public offering.
- Served as underwriter’s counsel in connection with two follow on public offerings by a property and casualty insurer based in St. Petersburg, FL.
- Represented BlueLinx Holdings in connection with its $60 million public rights offering.
- Represented Matria Healthcare, Inc. in connection with its $1.1 billion acquisition by Inverness Medical Innovations, Inc. (now, Alere, Inc.)
- Represented numerous financial institutions and community banks in negotiating a variety of corporate reorganization transactions, including mergers, asset acquisitions, stock acquisitions, and branch transactions.
- Represented directors and officers of troubled financial institutions in connection with bank regulatory matters.
Articles, Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, Southeastern M&A Forum "State of the M&A and Private Equity Market" (October 2015/2016).
- Presenter, Securities Law Seminar "Resales of Restricted Securities" (February 2016).
- Presenter, ACG Capital Connection "Regulatory and Policy Impacts for the Middle Market" (February 2015).
- Presenter, Securities Law Update "Responding to SEC Comments" (February 2015).
- Presenter, Troutman Sanders/Porter Keadle Moore/Banks Street Partners Market Update (August 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016).
- Presenter, Business Law Institute, Securities Law Update (November 2013 and 2014).
- Presenter, Evolving Duties of a Bank Director (June 2013).
- Presenter, Practical Guide for Directors and Officers of Failing Banks Webinar (November 2011).
- Author, "Trends in 'Say-on Pay' Lawsuits," Financial Executive magazine (November 2011).
- Presenter, Negotiated Corporate Acquisitions (January 2010).
- Presenter, University of Georgia Business Law Symposium (March 2009).
- Presenter, “A Review of the 2007 Proxy Season and a Look Forward to 2008” SEC Hot Topics Institute (May 2007).
- Presenter, “The Endless Search for the Risk-Free MD&A,” SEC Institute’s Staying Out of Trouble with the SEC seminar (May 2006).
- Presenter, “Form 8-K and Other Disclosure Issues” and “Proxy Season Update,” SEC Hot Topics Institute, (June 2006).
Professional and Community Involvement
- Georgia Bankers Association
- Atlanta Bar Association, Business and Finance Section Chairman
- Breakthrough Atlanta, Board Member
- Visiting Nurse Health System
- Board Member
- Founder of Chrysalis Club
Rankings and Recognition
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Securities/Capital Markets Law (2013-2017)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America as a Lawyer of the Year in Securities/Capital Markets Law (2017)
- Recognized as one of America's Leading Lawyers for Corporate/M&A Law by Chambers USA (2009-2014)
- Selected as a Georgia Rising Star in Securities & Corporate Finance by Law & Politics' Georgia Super Lawyers Magazine (2007, 2009-2011)
- Selected as a Super Lawyer in Securities & Corporate Finance by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine (2012-2017)
- Selected as Georgia Trend's Legal Elite (2013, 2016)
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2006-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2004-2005
- Associate, Smith, Gambrell & Russell, LLP
- Emory University, J.D., 1997
Notes and Comments Editor, Emory Law Journal
- University of Virginia, B.A., 1993