David Carter is a partner in the firm’s Corporate practice. He focuses on the representation of public and private companies in connection with corporate governance, securities regulations, securities offerings and mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented telecommunications company in refinancing and self-tender offer valued at $750 million.
- Represented telecommunications company in $135 million Rule 144A high-yield notes offering.
- Represented telecommunications company in $173 million initial public offering.
- Represented Internet service provider in acquisition of privately held company.
- Represented energy company in $1.3 billion debt restructuring including a $760 million Rule 144A high yield notes offering.
- Regular underwriters counsel for publicly held buyout and mezzanine investment company with aggregate offerings of approximately $6.3 billion.
- Represented transportation company in $522.5 million initial public offering and $1.25 billion sale to a worldwide delivery company.
- Represented biopharmaceutical company in initial public offering and convertible notes offering.
- Represent numerous publicly held companies as regular securities and corporate governance counsel.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Comparative Analysis of Georgia Business Entities, 18th Annual Corporation & Banking Law Institute, Sea Island, Georgia (1999).
- Speaker, Public Offerings and the Process of Registering Securities, Practicing Law Institute Seminar, Atlanta, Georgia (1999-2001).
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Member, ABA Committee on Federal Regulation of Securities
- Adjunct Professor, Securities Regulation, Marshall Wythe School of Law, College of William andMary, 1993-94
Rankings and Recognition
- Named as a Virginia Super Lawyer in Securities & Corporate Finance Law (2006-2016).
- Named 2009 BTI Client Service All-Star.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, and Securities Regulation (2007-2017).
- Recognized in The Legal 500 United States for Corporate (2015).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2006-present
- Partner, Hunton & Williams LLP, 1992-2006
- Associate, Hunton & Williams LLP, 1984-1992
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1984
- University of Virginia, Ph.D., 1981
- University of Virginia, M.A., 1979
- Northwestern University, B.A., 1974
Phi Beta Kappa