Data centers are at the core of every business. In this evolving industry, our diverse and dedicated team of lawyers is committed to staying ahead of market trends to guide our clients through all aspects of data center management. As society continues to trend towards a demand for more data through mobile devices, and cloud networking, data storage needs will become even more prevalent to house and protect information.
The unique legal needs of data center owners and operators are complex and require knowledge of multiple disciplines to garner successful outcomes. Over the years, we have represented various clients with data center interests, including REITs, large technology, healthcare, finance, telecommunications and energy organizations amongst others on their most complicated data center projects. Troutman Sanders data center team is comprised of lawyers working seamlessly across practice groups to handle our clients’ most pressing legal needs.
The ability to understand and handle sophisticated data center matters from start to finish is our greatest strength. Amongst other areas of practice, our data center lawyers provide legal advice in the following related areas:
- Data centers are heavily energy-dependent so an experienced energy and regulatory team is critical. We have experience representing data center owners and operators in negotiating power supply and other required agreements, including the procurement of renewable energy. With more than 130 lawyers focused on the energy industry, Troutman Sanders helps our clients anticipate and address emerging issues, identify opportunities and guide data center matters to successful outcomes.
- Land acquisition and leasing are important real estate components of data center matters. We have worked with clients to complete their most complex data center projects in connection with the land acquisition, planning, construction, development, leasing, and other related real estate matters. Our knowledge of global economic and industry trends is matched by our in-depth familiarity with local markets to handle a myriad of real estate and land use needs for data center clients.
- Data centers have increasingly become an attractive asset for investors therefore an experienced corporate and finance team is beneficial. Troutman Sanders works with clients at every stage, from arranging money for startups, negotiating mergers, joint ventures, acquisitions, and leading public offerings, to advising on corporate governance matters.
- Securing and protecting information that passes through data centers is of utmost concern to our clients. Our intellectual property and data privacy lawyers are well-versed in the security issues related to the maintenance and operations of data centers, and have helped data center clients protect their most important asset: information.
- Data centers can be subject to regulatory enforcement, as well as incentives. Our government and regulatory lawyers have represented data center owners in connection with obtaining long-term local incentives and property tax abatements, and the negotiation of franchise fee arrangements, as well as state and federal regulatory matters.