Daniel Archuleta represents clients in the energy industry with a focus on regulation and competition issues. His practice includes the representation of natural gas pipelines, electric utilities, and transmission companies in proceedings before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and various state public utility commissions, particularly in matters related to administrative complaints and litigation, merger proceedings, ratemaking and certificate proceedings, and investigation and compliance matters.
- Counseled natural gas pipeline companies and local distribution companies in several FERC natural gas pipeline rate proceedings.
- Counseled local distribution companies and interstate natural gas pipelines in matters pertaining to FERC regulation, including interstate pipeline, storage and LNG investments; Section 7(f) of the Natural Gas Act and limited jurisdiction blanket certificates; FERC complaint proceedings; rulemakings and other policy change proceedings; asset optimization strategies; FERC Standards of Conduct issues; and transfer of jurisdictional assets.
- Counseled multiple entities on asset transfers and corporate transactions requiring FERC approval under Sections 203 and 204 of the Federal Power Act.
- Counseled limited jurisdiction (Hinshaw and Section 311) storage and pipeline companies during FERC certificate proceedings and on-going regulatory compliance matters.
- Counseled regulated electric utilities in FERC rate case proceedings under Section 205 of the Federal Power Act, including during trial-type hearings before Administrative Law Judge.
- Counseled investor-owned utilities on generator and transmission interconnection issues; North American Electric Reliability Corporation Standards; and on-going FERC compliance matters.
- Counseled a natural gas pipeline companies and local distribution companies in internal investigations regarding a variety of FERC enforcement matters.
- Assisted coalition of interconnection and transmission customers in complaint proceeding under Section 211A of the Federal Power Act against a federal power marketing agency.
- Represented utilities in Bonneville Power Administration wholesale power and transmission rate cases.
- Counseled association of U.S. Shareholder-Owned Electric Companies on various disclosure and accounting issues at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Energy Bar Association
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington
- New Mexico State Alumni Association International Board of Directors
- Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2008 - present
- Summer Associate, Holland and Knight LLP, Summer 2007
- Summer Law Clerk for Justice Chavez, New Mexico State Supreme Court, Summer 2006
- Civil Engineer, Molzen-Corbin & Associates, Albuquerque, NM, January 2005 – July 2005