Craig Fitzenreiter has been practicing law for over 25 years and he focuses his practice on the representation of financial institutions in connection with loans and other financing transactions, including term loans, lines of credit, liquidity facilities, letters of credit and direct purchases of revenue bonds, with emphasis on real estate financing and tax-exempt revenue bond financing. He also has extensive experience representing financial institutions in loan modifications and out-of-court workouts.
Craig’s experience has given him technical and practical understanding and knowledge regarding structuring, documenting and closing complex financing transactions. Examples include:
- Represented an agent bank in a $400 million syndicated construction loan for re-development of the Southwest Waterfront of Washington, D.C. as a mixed use development.
- Counsel to members of bank group in connection with the purchase of tax-exempt revenue bonds in an aggregate principal amount of approximately $150 million to refinance existing debt of a private university and to finance the construction of additional capital projects.
- Lender’s counsel in connection with a $27.5 million loan to finance the acquisition of a hotel property in northern Virginia and its conversion to multi-family housing use.
- Counsel to a major national bank, as administrative agent and lender, in connection with a $135 million syndicated line of credit to a private university.
- Lender’s counsel in connection with refinancing in an approximate amount of $8 million for hotel properties located in Northern Virginia.
- Lender’s counsel in connection with $75 million working capital loan to a pediatric hospital in Washington, D.C.
- Lender’s counsel in connection with loan in a principal amount of approximately $200 million to a hospital system to finance the acquisition of an additional hospital.
- Bank counsel in connection with real estate acquisition financing for a charitable organization, including approximately $56 million in taxable loans and the bank’s purchase of a tax-exempt revenue bond of approximately $45 million.
- Bank counsel in connection with the purchase of a tax-exempt revenue bond in an amount of approximately $26 million for the National Aquarium in Baltimore.
- Letter of credit bank counsel in connection with syndicated direct-pay letters of credit providing support for approximately $150 million of tax-exempt variable rate revenue bonds issued for a private university, secured by deed of trust liens on the campuses of the university.
- Lender’s counsel in connection with bridge financing for an affordable housing project located in northern Virginia.
- Lender’s counsel in connection with construction financing for an historic rehabilitation and conversion to multi-family use of a property located in central Virginia.
- Letter of credit bank counsel in connection with conversion and re-offering of approximately $167 million of variable rate bonds issued for a private university.
- Counsel to providers of liquidity lines of credit to support an approximately $175 million tax-exempt commercial paper program for a hospital system.
- Counsel to banks providing letters of credit in connection with the conversion and re-offering of approximately $141 million of variable rate bonds issued for a hospital system.
- Bank counsel in connection with an $85 million line of credit providing standby liquidity support for eligible variable bonds issued for a charitable organization.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Maryland State Bar Association (Member of the special joint committee of the Business Law Section and the Real Property, Planning and Zoning Section of Maryland State Bar Association, which issued its report on Attorney Opinions in Business Transactions in June of 2007, serving as co-chair of the Perfection and Priorities subcommittee)
- Of Counsel, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2007-present
- Partner, Gebhardt & Smith LLP, 1992-2007
- Associate, Gebhardt & Smith LLP, 1986-1992