Bryan Lavine is a partner with Troutman Sanders’ White Collar & Government Investigations practice. His practice consists primarily of the defense of corporations and individuals in white collar criminal defense matters, including health care, securities, tax, FCPA, antitrust and various regulatory enforcement matters.
Bryan has a wealth of experience in the successful defense of DOJ investigations, SEC enforcement actions, grand jury investigations, and internal investigations. He represents clients in all stages of criminal investigations, from initiation of the investigation through trial. He has defended numerous actions brought under the False Claims Act. In addition, he provides counsel with respect to corporate compliance and governance matters. Bryan has acted as lead counsel or co-counsel in numerous federal and state prosecutions and investigations conducted by the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Justice – Antitrust Division, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, and the United States Attorney General’s office.
- Representation of corporations and individuals in white collar criminal matters including tax, health care, securities, antitrust and various regulatory matters, and qui tam litigation.
- Representation of hospitals, physicians, and home health agencies in health care investigations involving various issues, including fraud, kickbacks and coding and billing issues.
- Representation of corporations and individuals in federal criminal tax matters and civil tax controversies, involving income taxes, excise taxes, employment taxes and civil penalties, including civil fraud.
- Represent multinational chemical company in DOJ Antitrust Division’s investigation of issues related to price fixing and customer and territorial allocation.
- Represent former officers of publicly held bank in SEC investigation.
- Represent individuals in DOJ Antitrust Division’s investigation of bid rigging in foreclosure auctions.
- Won motion to dismiss on behalf of owner/chief executive officer in a major eight week federal jury trial involving allegations of bid rigging on international construction contracts in alleged violations of The False Claims Act. Also obtained a reversal of a $104 million judgment for corporation in the same action.
- Represented the president and CEO of a government supply/contracting company in a four year government contracting fraud investigation conducted by the Department of Justice. The government took no action.
- Represented Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corp, the 10th largest national mortgage lender under investigation by the DOJ and the SEC involving allegations of extensive accounting issues, securities fraud and bank fraud.
- Represented former bank officer in federal investigation involving allegations of money laundering and bank fraud.
- Persuaded government not to pursue claims, and obtained dismissal of private plaintiff’s claims against public company in a false claims act matter involving improper billing to a government healthcare program.
- Represented major animal health company in internal investigation of whistleblower’s allegations related to inaccurate FDA reporting.
- Represented employees of global pharmaceutical company in connection with DOJ investigation of company involving allegations of off-label marketing, false claims, and kickbacks.
- Represented professional employer organization (“PEO”) company in internal investigation of issues related to payroll tax mismanagement and fraud.
- Represented international manufacturer in connection with theft of trade secrets, resulting in no charges being filed.
- Represented foreign investor in Inside Trading case, resulting in return of investor funds.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- 2014 Trends in SEC Enforcement, Association of Corporate Growth, Orange County, California, 2014
- “Federal Agents are in the Lobby.” Prepare for and responding to the search of a corporate client.” ICLE Annual White Collar Crime Seminar, 2013
- “Criminal Antitrust – Defending a Case,” ICLE Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Criminal Antitrust and Export Controls Seminar 2013
- “Criminal Antitrust – Defending a Case,” ICLE International Business and Crime – FCPA – Criminal Antitrust Seminar, 2012
- Frequent Instructor and Speaker – Gary Christy Memorial Georgia Trial Skills Clinic, 2009-2014
- Criminal Antitrust Enforcement – Protecting and Defending Your Client; ICLE Annual International Business and Crime Seminar, 2008
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Illinois State Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Communities in Schools of Atlanta, Board of Directors (2002-2012), Chairman of the Board (2007-2009), Treasurer (2003-2008).
- Atlanta Area Council, Boy Scouts of America, Executive Board (1994-2003), Advisory Board (2004-2005).
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected as a Super Lawyer in Criminal Defense: White Collar by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine (2004-2016); Selected for Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition (2010).
- Named to Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite in criminal law (2004-2009, 2011-2013).
- Client Choice Award – Georgia White Collar Crime - 2013
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1989-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1985-1988
- Private Practice of Law, 1982-1984
- Assistant State's Attorney, States Attorney’s Office, Cook County, Illinois, 1977-1981
- Emory University, LL.M., 1982
- Chicago Kent College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1977
- Rollins College, B.A., 1974
U.S. Tax Court
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit