Since joining the firm in 2004 Brandon Marzo has worked on a variety of state regulatory matters for utility clients before state commissions. Some of Brandon’s work includes matters involving integrated resource planning, certifications of new generation including new nuclear generation, rate cases, RFPs for purchase power, certifications and RFPs for renewable resources, and qualifying facility contracting processes. Before joining the firm Brandon worked as an Attorney for the Georgia Public Service Commission (“GPSC”). In that capacity he focused primarily in the area of natural gas regulation, including matters involving state retail deregulation, pipeline safety, and violations of consumer rights.
- Counsel for Georgia Power in matters involving certification of new supply side resources. This includes self-owned natural gas combined cycle, nuclear, biomass, as well as purchased power resources.
- Counsel for Georgia Power in rate cases, fuel cost recovery proceeding, and integrated resource planning proceedings before the GPSC.
- Counsel for Georgia Power Company before GPSC on various PURPA related matters.
- Counsel for Georgia Power Company on various Electric Territorial Assignment Cases.
- Counsel for Duke Energy Carolinas’ in the certification of new coal plant before the North Carolina Utilities Commission.
- Counsel to Duke Energy in connection with several proceedings before the North Carolina Utility Commission pertaining to resource development and retail ratemaking.
- Counsel to Southern Company gas on various compliance matters.
- Primary counsel to the Natural Gas Section of the GPSC dealing with all matters in both the regulated and deregulated environments.
- Counsel to Pipeline Safety Section of the GPSC primarily responsible for assisting staff with the enforcement of the Georgia Utility Facility Protection Act (GUFPA).
- Worked closely with Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs in assisting the Governor and Legislators with the development of the Consumers’ Relief Act of 2002.
- Testified before the Georgia Senate Study Committee on Natural Gas in 2002.
Professional and Community Involvement
- State Bar of Georgia
- Energy Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Conference of Regulatory Attorneys
- National Bar Association
Rankings and Recognition
- Recognized as one of America's Leading Lawyers for Energy Law by Chambers USA (2009-2016).
- Selected as a Georgia "Rising Star" in Energy & Natural Resources by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine, 2007, 2009 and 2010.
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2007-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2004-2006
- Attorney, Georgia Public Service Commission, 2002-2004
- Attorney, Consumers’ Utility Counsel Division, Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs, 2001-2002