Ashley Hager specializes in all types of employment discrimination litigation and general employment advice. She handles single-plaintiff and multi-plaintiff litigation for employers under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Fair Labor Standards Act. She also provides general employment and human resources consulting on issues such as employee selection, compensation, leaves and discipline, disability and fitness-for-duty issues, employment contracts, outsourcing arrangements, employee and manager handbooks, federal contractor obligations, separation agreements, and severance plans. She also works with clients on employee privacy issues.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- “Social Media in the Workplace," ACE Roundtable Annual Best Practices Workshop, May 2015.
- “Developments in Expectations of Privacy,” Privacy Seminar at Troutman Sanders LLP, May 2009.
- “Recent Changes to the FMLA Regulations,” Seminar at Troutman Sanders LLP, March 2009.
- “Reducing Your Workforce Without Increasing Your Liability,” Breakfast Seminar at Troutman Sanders LLP, November 2008.
- “Who’s That Looking In My -- Legal Issues Associated With Employee Monitoring,” Corporate Counsel Institute Seminar, December 2007.
- “The EEOC’s New ‘E-RACE’ Initiative,” Breakfast Seminar at Troutman Sanders LLP, November 2007.
- “Employee Privacy,” Privacy Seminar at Troutman Sanders LLP, May 2007.
- “Military Leave for Private Employers,” The Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia, July 2003.
- “Crafting Employee Handbooks and Personnel Policies,” The Cambridge Institute Annual Southern Employment Law Conference, November 1998.
- “The Hiring Process: How to Avoid Common Legal Pitfalls,” Breakfast Seminar at Troutman Sanders LLP, May 1998.
- “Conducting Effective Employment Investigations,” Breakfast Seminar at Troutman Sanders LLP, September 1997.
- “Workplace Violence – The ‘Catch 22’s’ Associated with Confronting Violence in the Workplace and Tips on Avoiding Liability,” Breakfast Seminar at Troutman Sanders LLP, February 1996.
- "Employer Administration of Severance Pay Plans: Avoiding Misrepresentation Liability on Plan Modifications," ERISA and Benefits Law Journal, Volume 4, Issue 1, 1996.
- "Defamation by Conduct: Workplace Expulsion of the Terminated Employee," Georgia Bar Journal, December 1995.
Professional and Community Involvement
- State Bar of Georgia
- American Bar Association
Rankings and Recognition
- Recognized as one of America's Leading Lawyers for Labor & Employment Law by Chambers USA (2010-2016).
- Named to Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite in labor/employment (2004, 2008, 2011-2013).
- Selected as a Super Lawyer in Labor & Employment by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine (2009-2017); Selected as a Georgia Rising Star in Labor & Employment by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine (2005, 2007); Selected for inclusion in the Law & Politics’ Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition (2010).
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Employment Law - Management (2013-2015).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2002-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1994–2001
- Member, Associate Review Committee
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1994
- Dartmouth College, B.A., magna cum laude, 1990
Georgia Superior Courts
Georgia Court of Appeals
Supreme Court of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit