Andrea Rimer has a national practice representing clients on transactional and regulatory matters involving brownfields redevelopment, hazardous site investigation and cleanup, hazardous waste management, and state and federal Superfund and voluntary remediation programs. Andrea commonly represents buyers, sellers and lenders in real estate and corporate transactions, and her experience has included cleanup actions, transactions and litigation involving CERCLA/Superfund and RCRA hazardous substances and wastes, underground storage tanks (USTs) and state hazardous waste and petroleum cleanup programs across the United States. Andrea has broad environmental and transactional experience, which also includes counseling clients with respect to SEC environmental disclosure obligations, Clean Air Act and greenhouse gas regulations, water quality and safe drinking water requirements, pesticides and product regulation.
Recently, Andrea was ranked as one of the Top 50 women lawyers in the State of Georgia by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine in its 2014 Super Lawyers rankings. Andrea also is listed in the Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA and the Legal 500.
- Representation of buyers, sellers and lenders in the purchase and sale of real property and corporate assets across the United States, including entry into state brownfields programs, completion of due diligence activities, negotiation of contractual provisions and advice concerning potential liability and regulatory considerations.
- Representation of clients in all aspects of investigation and remediation of numerous sites pursuant to the federal CERCLA statute and state brownfields and voluntary remediation programs, and the successful completion of cleanup activities under such programs.
- Representation of lenders in foreclosure on former industrial and commercial properties and resolution of future site liabilities through brownfields and UST programs.
- National representation of Fortune 20 retailer regarding retail and pharmaceutical hazardous waste compliance programs, reverse distribution, product management, underground and aboveground storage tanks, hazardous site management and resolution of claims with governmental authorities.
- Representation of international airline in connection with hazardous waste and petroleum management and compliance, UST and AST regulation, hazardous substance and petroleum regulation and state and federal superfund programs.
- Lead environmental counsel in the acquisition and divestiture of the former Durango paper mill in St. Marys, Georgia and purchase/sale and remediation of impacted properties in the Atlanta area and throughout Georgia through the Georgia Brownfields Program and Georgia Voluntary Remediation Program, and resolution of Georgia Hazardous Site Response Act (HSRA) liabilities.
- Representation of multi-state publicly traded company in evaluating and developing environmental disclosures in compliance with applicable SEC regulations.
- Representation of clients in litigation and regulatory enforcement involving UST regulations and hazardous substance releases in Georgia, North Carolina, New York and other states.
- “The Politics of Perchlorate,” Natural Resources & Environment, Number 3, Volume 18 (Winter 2004).
- “Environmental Liability and the Brownfields Phenomenon: An Analysis of Federal Options for Redevelopment,” 10 Tulane Environmental Law Journal, 63 (Winter 1996).
Professional and Community Involvement
- Institute of Georgia Environmental Leadership (IGEL) Class of 2014
- Annual Georgia Environmental Conference Steering Committee
- Editorial Board, ABA NR&E Magazine
- Chair, State Bar of Georgia Environmental Law Section, 2007
- Harvard Law School Women's Alliance of Atlanta
- Association of Women Environmental Professionals
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected among the Top 50 Women Lawyers in Georgia by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine for 2014.
- Selected as a Super Lawyer or Rising Star in Environmental by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine every year since 2005.
- Selected as a Georgia Leading Lawyer in Environmental Law by Chambers USA (2012-2016).
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for Environmental Law (2008-2015).
- Recognized in The Legal 500 for Real Estate/Land Use.
- Selected as one of Georgia Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite for Pro Bono.
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2004-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1996-2003
- Harvard University, J.D., cum laude, 1996
- University of Georgia, A.B., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1993