Alec Watson is a partner in the Charlotte office and focuses his practice primarily on private equity transactions, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate law matters. He has advised private equity funds, along with both private and public companies in connection with various equity and debt investments, acquisitions and divestitures and other general corporate and financing transactions.
- Counsel to a leading publicly traded snack manufacturer on mergers and acquisitions and other corporate matters, including its merger of equals with a leading privately held snack food company and numerous acquisitions and divestitures of brands and similar assets.
- Served as outside general counsel to a private equity-backed regional provider of cable television, high speed internet and digital telephone services, including representing the company in more than twenty acquisitions, divestitures and exchanges of cable systems and in the negotiation of its senior secured credit facility and unsecured subordinated notes, as well as the private equity sponsor’s eventual exit.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its formation of a new regional provider of cable television, high speed internet and digital telephone services and its recent carve-out acquisition of cable system assets from a national MSO.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its acquisition of a leading provider of SaaS solutions to non-profit organizations and in an add-on acquisition of a competitor.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its growth equity investment in a leading provider of financial and operational management software for construction contractors.
- Represented a family office in its sale of a resort hotel to a private equity sponsor.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its acquisition and divestiture of a facilities-based provider of high-end data communications services to medium and large-sized enterprises.
- Represented a Carolinas-based, family-owned provider of cable television, high speed internet, digital telephone and security services in two acquisitions of regional, family-owned providers of cable television and telephone service.
- Represented a leading provider of purified bottled water and water dispensers in its acquisition of the vended water refill business of a national provider of water filtration services, which closed simultaneously with our client’s initial public offering.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in numerous oil and gas investments, both in E&P and midstream companies.
- Represented a mezzanine debt investor in the financing of a Canadian provider of application software for the construction industry in its acquisition of the United Kingdom’s largest financial software provider for the construction industry supply chain.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in the acquisition, recapitalization and subsequent sale of a national automotive services franchisor.
- Represented a subsidiary of a Canadian conglomerate in the acquisition of a national distributor of print consumer magazines.
- Left for Dead?: The Supreme Court's Treatment of the New Value Exception in Bank of America National Trust and Savings Association v. 203 North LaSalle Street Partnership, 78 North Carolina Law Review 1190 2000.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Association for Corporate Growth – Charlotte Chapter (Board of Directors, 2011-present)
- North Carolina Bar Association (Business Law Section, Member)
- Myers Park United Methodist Church (Member)