Executive Committee Member
Steve Riddell is a partner with nearly 30 years experience in litigation and arbitration. Steve handles all types of employment matters representing management in both union and non‑union settings. His specialties include Title VII sex discrimination and race discrimination claims (including class action lawsuits), age discrimination claims (ADEA), disability discrimination claims (ADA) and labor arbitrations arising under collective bargaining agreements.
- Counsel to Southern Company entities (including Georgia Power Company) on a national basis in employment litigation in federal and/or state court and in all aspects of management-union relations, including arbitration of disputes arising under the company’s collective bargaining agreement with the IBEW. Successfully handled a race class action lawsuit, in which the company defeated class certification and won summary judgment on all seven individual claims brought by the seven plaintiffs.
- Counsel to Chick-fil-A, Inc. on a wide variety of labor and employment issues affecting the quick-service restaurant business, including Department of Labor (Wage and Hour Division) investigations and claims, employment litigation matters, and training programs. Steve also has taught an employment law class as part of Chick-fil-A, Inc.’s FRL training program since 1994.
- Counsel to companies in the telecommunications, manufacturing and many other industries in all aspects of labor and employment law and employment discrimination litigation involving sex, race, age and disability discrimination and state law tort claims for breach of non-competition covenants. Steve also assists with counseling on corporate policies and practices.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section; Trial Practice Section)
- State Bar of Georgia (Labor and Employment Section; Trial Practice Section)
- American Arbitration Association, Certified arbitrator, 1993 present
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Instructor, 1993 and 1994
- Joseph Lumpkin American Inn of Court, 1992-present
Rankings and Recognition
- Recognized as one of America's Leading Lawyers for Employment Law by Chambers USA (2003-2014).
- Steve Riddell has achieved Martindale-Hubbell's highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards.
- Named to the Top Rated Lawyers Guide to Energy/Environmental/Natural Resources Law (2012).
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Litigation - Labor and Employment (2007-2014).
- Selected as a Super Lawyer in Employment & Labor by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine (2004-2015); Selected for inclusion in the Law & Politics’ Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition (2010).
- Named to Georgia Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite in Labor/Employment (2004-present).
- Named as a leading practitioner in his field by Who's Who Legal USA: Management Labour and Employment 2006.
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1993-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1985-1993
- Member, Executive Committee
- University of North Carolina, J.D., with honors, 1985
- University of South Carolina, B.A., magna cum laude, 1981
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
Supreme Court of Georgia
Georgia Court of Appeals
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court