Ryan Tuley’s practice focuses on representing clients in complex insurance coverage, bad faith, and business litigation matters. He also devotes a significant amount of his time to advising clients regarding insurance coverage issues under directors and officers, errors and omissions, professional liability, employment practices liability, and commercial general liability policies. Ryan regularly litigates coverage and other disputes in federal and state courts and has handled a large variety of matters from the pre-litigation stage through discovery, trial, and appeal.
- Representing and advising an insurer with respect to coverage and liability issues arising out of various securities class actions, an ERISA class action, bankruptcy proceedings, SEC and other regulatory investigations, and other proceedings arising out of the collapse of subprime lenders.
- Representing and advising an insurer that issued a directors and officers liability policy in connection with coverage issues arising out of a breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit by a bankruptcy trustee against former directors and officers of the insured company.
- Representing and advising an insurer with respect to coverage and liability issues arising out of an underlying lawsuit by an insurance company against an insurance broker for the alleged improper placement of coverage which allegedly resulted in several million dollars of unwarranted exposure.
- Representing an insurer in a rescission action under a professional liability errors and omissions policy based on various misrepresentation made by the insured during the application process.
- Representing an insurer in a bad faith action arising out of the insurer’s alleged improper failure to defend and indemnify its insured under an employment practices liability policy.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of an insurer in a bad faith lawsuit by demonstrating that an underlying proceeding against the insured before the United States International Trade Commission (“USITC”) did not qualify as a “suit” under the terms of a commercial general liability policy and that the USITC could not award monetary damages as was necessary to trigger coverage under the policy. Subsequently obtained a ruling from the California Court of Appeal affirming the trial court’s decision to grant summary judgment.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment of a bad faith claim given the existence of a genuine dispute regarding coverage for a large exposure loss under a commercial automobile policy issued to a major transit company.
- Successfully obtained judgment following a bench trial in an equitable contribution action against another insurer for defense fee and cost payments associated with an underlying lawsuit arising out of a landslide.
- Represented an insurance company in a rescission/bad faith action involving a life insurance policy and obtained a favorable settlement well within the policy limit.
- Represented a first party insurer and negotiated a favorable settlement in a bad faith lawsuit arising out of alleged mold contamination at the insured’s property.
- Represented an insurance holding company in a bad faith action arising out of the 1994 Northridge Earthquake against allegations that the client and its insurance company subsidiaries had destroyed the insured’s multi-million dollar computer business.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment of a fraud claim against a law firm, and subsequently obtained a ruling from the California Court of Appeal affirming the summary judgment order.
- Represented a gate opener manufacturer in a trade dress infringement lawsuit, and subsequent appeal. After a four week trial, the jury returned a verdict in favor of our client and the subsequent judgment was later affirmed by the California Court of Appeal.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected for Southern California Super Lawyers in Insurance Coverage 2013 & 2014
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2010-present
- Of Counsel, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2009
- Of Counsel, Ross, Dixon & Bell, LLP, 2008
- Associate, Ross, Dixon & Bell, LLP 2006-2007
- Berger Kahn, a Professional Law Corp., 1998-2006
- University of San Diego, J.D., cum laude, 1998
Order of the Coif
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1995
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California