Ryan Schneider’s practice centers on providing clients with strategic counseling and guidance regarding intellectual property matters. Ryan takes a multifaceted approach to today’s most challenging issues in the development, protection, and exploitation of IP assets. He has extensive IP litigation, prosecution and corporate experience for companies of all sizes, from start-up ventures to universities and research organizations to members of the Fortune Global 500.
Ryan’s practice focuses exclusively on exceeding client expectations, where success only comes from trusted partnerships. He helps clients build a team of Troutman Sanders lawyers, both within the IP practice, and across the firm, that will best serve their needs.
This process starts with an enthusiastic appreciation for his clients’ products, business, challenges, goals and culture to provide effective and efficient solutions to business problems ranging from marketing to international commercial transactions. Ryan draws on his over 19 years of experience in patent, trademark, and copyright counseling, prosecution and litigation representing both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of intellectual property disputes under local, state, federal, and international intellectual property laws.
A prominent member of the firm’s intellectual property practice, Ryan’s best relationships rely on transparent communication regarding mutual expectations, goals, targets, and operational constraints, ultimately building win-win relationships. His experience includes analyzing intellectual property assets for corporate deals, drafting non-compete covenants, and obtaining and defending temporary restraining orders, allows him to advise his clients on the full scope of intellectual property matters.
Recent Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Author, "The Intersection of Law and 3D Printing: How IP Could be Impacted by 3D Printing in the Future," LawyerMade Magazine, August 22, 2014.
- Presenter, The Patenting Process in the United States - An Overview for Administrative and Support Staff, Association of University Technology Managers (2012).
- Presenter, The 2012 Minority Faculty Development Workshop: Engineering Enterprise and Innovation (2012).
- Presenter, Georgia Tech Integrated Programs for Startups (GT:IPS) (2012).
- Webinar Host and Presenter, The Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM) (2011-2012).
- Presenter, AUTM Eastern Region Meeting in San Juan, Puerto Rico, (2009).
- Chapter, “Inside The Minds: Developing A Patent Strategy: Leading Lawyers On Counseling Clients On Patent Protection, Evaluating Patent Portfolios, And Working With The USPTO,” Aspatore Books, a Thomson Reuters business (2010).
- “Intellectual Property, Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights,” Richard Stim, 3rd Edition, Delmar Learning, (Editor) (2009).
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- The Rally Foundation (Advisory Board Member)
- Association of University Technology Managers (Member, Frequent Presenter)
- State Bar of Georgia (Member, Intellectual Property Law, Technology Law and Pro Bono Sections)
- State Bar of Georgia, Young Lawyers Division (Member, Executive Counsel and Aspiring Youth Committee)