As a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property practice, Puja Lea focuses her practice in intellectual property litigation, primarily in the area of patent litigation. In addition to patent litigation, Puja has also litigated on behalf of clients in the areas of copyright and trademark law, and also has litigation experience in commercial business disputes involving claims for breach of contract and business torts.
- Second-chair trial counsel in jury trial for plaintiff artist in copyright infringement suit in the Northern District of Georgia. Obtained a verdict granting disgorgement of defendants’ profits from sales of the infringing work, and successfully opposed motions for a new trial on damages or remittitur of the damages award. Zheng Li v. The Affordable Art Company, et. al. (N.D. Ga. 1:12-cv-03523).
- Appellate counsel in the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in patent case. Obtained affirmance of trial court’s judgment in its entirety, including for issues of willful infringement, prior public use, and obviousness. AIA Engineering Ltd. v. Magotteaux International S/A et al. (530 Fed. Appx. 959 (Fed. Cir. 2013)).
- Trial counsel in two week jury trial for plaintiff in the Middle District of Tennessee in patent infringement case. Obtained verdict of willful infringement and no invalidity of patents claiming composite wear components. Court awarded damages for willful infringement and attorneys' fees and costs and denied motions for new trial and judgment as a matter of law on issues of no public use, nonobviousness, infringement, and willful infringement. AIA Engineering Ltd. v. Magotteaux International S/A et al. (M.D. Tenn. No. 3:09-cv-00255); 2012 U.S. Dist. Lexis 136606 (M.D. Tenn. Sept. 21, 2012); 2012 U.S. Dist. Lexis 162391 (M.D. Tenn. Nov. 14, 2012).
- Counsel for defendant in the Eastern District of Virginia in patent infringement case. Obtained settlement on eve of trial in which no damages were paid on behalf of client against allegations of infringement of patents claiming methods of tracking internet advertising. comScore, Inc. v. Moat Inc. (E.D. Va. No. 2:12-cv-695).
Professional and Community Involvement
- Barrister, Bleckley Inn of Court
- Co-chair, American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Subcommittee, Intellectual Property Litigation Committee, Litigation Section
- Member, Aurora Theatre Board of Directors
- Member, Georgia Tech Intellectual Property Advisory Board
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2010-present
- University of Georgia, J.D., cum laude, 2009
Articles Editor and Editorial Board Member, Georgia Law Review
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., with highest honor, 2006
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
Supreme Court of Georgia
Georgia Court of Appeals