Megan Rahman's practice focuses primarily on providing advice and support to individuals and corporations across the country responding to regulatory, civil and criminal investigations. She has substantial experience in conducting internal corporate investigations, representing clients in agency investigations, and handling federal and state criminal and civil litigation. Megan has handled matters for clients under investigation for government contracting fraud, embezzlement, securities fraud, tax and bank fraud, money laundering, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the False Claims Act. In the context of corporate compliance matters, Megan also advises clients on regulatory and legislative matters related to US national security, including CFIUS notifications, and compliance with export control regulations.
Megan also has significant experience litigating and counseling clients in complex commercial litigation and intellectual property matters, including disputes involving patent, trademark, trade dress, and copyright infringement, trade secret violations, unfair competition and breach of contract and business torts. Her practice includes civil litigation in state and federal court at both the trial and appellate level.
Megan provides ongoing analysis and commentary on developments in intellectual property law, with a focus on Virginia, through her Virginia IP Law blog at http://www.virginiaiplaw.com/.
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected as a Virginia "Rising Star" in Business Litigation by Law & Politics' Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine (2007-2009).
- Selected as a Virginia"Rising Star" in Criminal Defense: White Collar by Law & Politics' Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine (2010-2011, 2013).
White Collar & Government Investigation Cases
- Represented a financial institution under parallel investigations by the SEC and federal grand jury for alleged securities fraud, bank fraud, and embezzlement.
- Represented officers and inside directors of a financial institution taken over by the FDIC against claims of financial mismanagement and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Represented a national wholesale distribution company in False Claims Act action alleging violations of the Buy American Act and the Trade Agreements Act.
- Represented tobacco wholesaler in connection with criminal prosecution of multiple defendants for state tax avoidance scheme.
- Represented state lending institution in False Claims Act action alleging improper charges to the U.S. Department of Education student loan program.
- Represented national mortgage lender in multi-state Attorney General investigation for alleged fraud.
- Represented international manufacturer in connection with investigation of theft of trade secrets.
- Represented national manufacturer of military equipment in government contracting fraud investigation conducted by the Department of Criminal Investigative Services.
- Represented suppliers in connection with military procurement fraud investigations.
- Represented tobacco product manufacturer in connection with criminal investigation of tax avoidance.
- Represented state senator in government investigation involving alleged conflict of interest, honest services fraud, and bribery.
Intellectual Property Cases
- Represented hardwood flooring retailer in trademark and trade dress infringement action against competitor. Resolved after two day jury trial and one day bench trial.
- Defended major baby stroller company in defense of trade dress infringement claims.
- Defended a major software development company in patent infringement action involving patents for electronic sourcing and procurement systems.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in trademark and trade dress infringement, false advertising and unfair competition action against generic pharmaceutical company.
- Defended major gun manufacturer in trademark, trade dress and patent infringement, and false advertising action relating to military machine guns.
- Represented a major computer software company in anti-piracy trademark and copyright infringement litigation.
Complex Litigation Cases
- Represented data provider in defense of claims based upon alleged misuse of proprietary information used in direct mail marketing campaigns. Obtained dismissal of state court unfair trade practices claim, summary judgment on all remaining claims, and award of attorneys' fees and costs totaling $781,874.
- Defended trust, administrator of trust and separate company in a bankruptcy trustee's action to pierce their corporate veils and hold them liable for the debts of the debtor corporation. Obtained summary judgment on all claims. Case resolved while pending on appeal.
- Represented lender in breach of contract claim against escrow agent and seller. Obtained summary judgment on all claims.
- Represented utility company in arbitration of breach of contract dispute with coal company arising out of the parties' coal supply agreement.
- Represented software company in breach of contract and fraud cases in numerous jurisdictions throughout the country.
- Defended a non-profit organization in defense of a First Amendment challenge to its faith-based prison initiative.
- Represented major financial institution before the Virginia Supreme Court in defense of Uniform Commercial Code and common law claims asserted by corporate customer.
- Represented localities and individual law enforcement officers in defense of wrongful death suits based on claims of excessive force.
- Interview, "Court Allows Apple to Push for Ban on Samsung Tablets," LexBlog Network TV, May 29, 2012.
- Co-Author, Troutman Sanders Advisory, "Executive Convicted of Bribery Under FCPA Based Only on Circumstantial Evidence", January 2012
- Co-Author, Troutman Sanders Advisory, "7th Circuit Ruling Expands Rights of Whistleblowers to Sue their Employers", January 2012.
- Co-Author, Troutman Sanders Advisory, "Government Continues Aggressive Use of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," November 2010.
- Co-author with David N. Anthony and Andrea M. Sullivan, "Hiss v. Friedberg : An Exception to the American Rule Barring an Award of Attorneys' Fees," Virginia State Bar Litigation News, Winter 2009.
- Co-author with David N. Anthony, "Civil Conspiracy: An Analysis of Common Law and Statutory Business Conspiracy Claims Under Virginia Law," The Virginia Bar Association News Journal, October/November 2008.
- Co-author with John West, "Gray v. Rhoads: Doing Indirectly What You Can't Do Directly," Virginia Lawyer , December 2004.
- CLE Presenter, "Electronic Discovery: Emerging Case Law and Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure," 2006.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Virginia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Board member, YWCA, Richmond, Virginia
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2012-present
- Of Counsel, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2010-2011
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1999-2009
- Law Clerk, Honorable James R. Spencer, United States District Judge, Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia, 1998-1999
- University of Richmond, J.D., cum laude, 1998
- University of North Carolina, B.A., 1995
Supreme Court of Virginia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia