Media & Entertainment
Advisory Sign Up
CLICK HERE and register
to receive insight on
from Troutman Sanders.
Media & Entertainment
The Troutman Sanders LLP Media and Entertainment practice group assists clients with the complex and rapidly changing issues facing the media, entertainment and sports industries. Our lawyers in this area provide sophisticated legal services to businesses, artists, investors, lenders and other clients that participate in the multimedia marketplace.
Within our firm, the Media and Entertainment practice group includes 20+ lawyers, enabling us to provide the highly responsive and focused approach of a boutique. Yet as part of a firm with more than 50 other practice groups, our Media and Entertainment practice group lawyers draw upon a full range of in-house legal specialties. As a result, we provide our clients with experience in many key areas relevant to the media and entertainment fields, giving advice, assistance and legal protection in all stages of a business project, artistic career or other commercial venture.
Some of our clients are large media and entertainment companies with complex and multidisciplinary needs. These clients include: Time Warner Inc. and its news and entertainment business under the Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. umbrella, including CNN and Turner’s entertainment networks and online businesses; Telemundo Group, Cable & Wireless PLC; and, Reuters Limited and CKX, Inc. (known for its branded properties including the “American Idol” television show, Elvis Presley Enterprises and Muhammad Ali Enterprises). We also represent numerous mid-size companies, new ventures and many individual clients, including renowned artists, authors and athletes.
Our clients participate in virtually all aspects of the Media and Entertainment industries, including:
- Cable television: Entertainment and news cable television program services and all aspects of cable television distribution and advertising sales.
- New Media: Businesses that provide entertainment and news content online.
- News: News organizations.
- Sports: Professional sports franchises and professional athletes.
- Film and Television: Film studios, production and distribution companies, writers and other content creators and talent.
- Music: Major and independent recording labels; internationally known recording artists, record producers, music publishing and management companies.
- Brand and celebrity name development.
- Finance: Lenders and equity investors.
- Publishing: Authors and publishing companies.
- Theater: Broadway theatre operators, investors and production companies.
- Software: Development companies.
- Communications: Wireless telecommunications companies and voice-over-internet providers.
From defense and prosecution of sophisticated litigation for media and entertainment clients, to complex acquisitions and state-of-the-art financing deals, our Media and Entertainment practice group attorneys have experience addressing a broad range of legal challenges, including:
Litigation: Our Media and Entertainment group lawyers have successfully prosecuted and defended a broad range of litigation for media and entertainment clients, including:
- Defense and prosecution of breach of contract actions in a wide range of areas for businesses in the media and entertainment industry, including, television exhibition rights, production rights, online advertising and sponsorships, television advertising and sponsorships and television distribution.
- Copyright infringement actions concerning television exhibition rights and on-line infringement of video and audio content.
- Trademark infringement claims.
- Litigation of antitrust claims in a variety of areas, including movie distribution, television programming, sports ticket sales, pooled news coverage and advertising.
- Defense and prosecution of breach of contract actions for sports teams, professional athletes, authors, movie actors and theatrical venue owners.
- Defense of defamation actions for television and film companies.
- Defense of shareholder litigation for a public media and entertainment client.
- Representation in First Amendment matters.
- Litigation of royalty claims against record companies on behalf of famous recording artists.
Business and Corporate: Our Media and Entertainment practice group lawyers bring substantial transactional experience to the representation of media and entertainment clients. Representative matters handled by our attorneys include:
- Structured finance transactions in film and music industries.
- Tender offer transaction in the television industry.
- License agreements for creative artists and brand management companies.
- Acquisition of movie and television production companies.
- Acquisition of a talent agency.
- Roll-up acquisitions of three entertainment industry companies by private equity firm.
- Joint venture arrangements between creative talent and entertainment development companies.
- Distribution, production, option and location agreements for movie and television companies.
- Negotiation of author contracts with book publishers.
- Planning, implementation and monitoring trademark management programs for a brand holding and development organization.
- Employment, consulting and loan-out agreements for executives and creative talent.
- Production loan transactions.
- Securitization of future royalty revenues from a recording artist’s prior and future recorded works.
- Lending transactions for sports franchises.
- Establishment of investment funds in media/entertainment.
- Counseling investors and lenders in film finance and content based lending.
- Private Placements and other financing transactions.
- Film Library and content acquisitions.
- Assistance with legislative support and governmental relations involving sports venues.