Maryia Jones focuses her practice on commercial litigation and consumer law. She regularly defends creditors, loan servicers, and debt collectors in individual and class actions involving claims under state and federal consumer laws, including the Truth in Lending Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, and the Real Estate Settlement Practices Act. Maryia also represents clients in shareholder/partner disputes, contract disputes, securities claims, commercial matters, and other complex litigation.
Maryia graduated from William & Mary Law School in the top ten percent of her class. While attending William & Mary Law School, Maryia worked with the legal department of the nationwide tax franchisor Liberty Tax Service on commercial litigation matters.
- Defended multiple lawsuits against national lenders and servicers arising from foreclosures, debt collection, and loss mitigation.
- Obtained dismissal and affirmation by the Fourth Circuit in lawsuit against national lender for alleged violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act arising from auto financing transaction. Lepelletier v. Fair Oaks Motors, Inc., et al., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 109363 (E.D. Va. Feb. 24, 2012), aff’d, 2012 U.S. App. LEXIS 16050 (4th Cir. Aug. 1, 2012).
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of claims against national bank arising from alleged violations of Home Affordable Modification Program based on the bank's refusal to modify loan.
- Secured summary judgment in favor of national bank on common law fraud claims and illegal debt collection claims under the West Virginia consumer protection statute.
- Secured dismissal with prejudice of Truth in Lending Act claims arising from national bank's alleged failure to provide notice of right to rescind.
- Obtained favorable settlements in federal class actions brought under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act against a national loan servicer.
- Represent foreclosure trustees in individual and class actions brought under state and federal consumer protection laws, including Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.
- Successfully defended commercial lease disputes.
- Local counsel for home insurance company in lawsuits arising from construction defects.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Virginia Women Attorneys Association
- Member, Virginia Bar Association
- Membership Committee Co-Chair (Tidewater Area), Virginia Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division