John Lynch is a trial lawyer with a national litigation practice. John is a member of the Financial Services Litigation practice representing financial institutions, loan servicers, and debt buyers/collection companies in class action and individual cases. He also represents companies and executives in intellectual property and commercial cases, involving patent and trademark matters, shareholder/partner disputes, construction, commercial contracts, and real estate.
- Summary Judgment and class decertification in FCRA Class Action. Kingery v. Quicken Loans, Inc., Civil Action No. 2:13cv1353 (S.D.W.V. 2014)
- Kingery v. Quicken Loans, Inc., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 75811 (S.D.W.V. June 4, 2014) (Decertifying Class)
- Kingery v. Quicken Loans, Inc., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 75824 (S.D.W.V. June 4, 2014) (Granting Summary Judgment)
- TCPA Class Action, Downing v. Papa John’s USA, Inc., Case No. 2:12cv422 (E.D. Va. 2013)
- Dismissal of WVCCPA Class Action. McFarland v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., Civil Action No. 2:12cv7997 (S.D.W.V. 2012)
- FCRA Class Action, Marcum v. Dolgencorp, Inc., Civil Action No. 3:12cv108 (E.D. Va. 2012)
- Fourth Circuit Affirmed Summary Judgment in FDCPA and TCPA case. Worsham v. Account Receivables Management, Inc., No. 11-2390 (4th Cir. Nov. 14, 2012), (Maryland).
- State of West Virginia v. Midland Funding, LLC , Case No. 12-c-433 (Kanawha County, 2012)
- Dismissal of Truth in Lending Act Class Action. (Valrie v. Nationstar Mortgage, LLC, Civil Action No. 1:11cv404 (S.D. Alabama))
- Defense verdict following 4 day jury trial for GMAC and MERS in Cobb County, Georgia. (Krause v. Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems, Case No. 09-1-11403-40 (Superior Court for Cobb County, GA))
- Fourth Circuit win in consumer class action in West Virginia. (Delebreau v. Bayview Loan Servicing, LLC, 680 F.3d 412 (4th Cir. 2012))
- Virginia Supreme Court win in partnership dissolution case following 13 day trial. (Russell Realty Assoc. v. Russell, 283 Va. 797 (2012))
- FCRA Class Action. Pitt v. K-Mart Corporation, Civil Case No. 3:11cv697 (JAG) (E.D.Va. 2011)
- Delebreau v. Bayview Loan Servicing, LLC, Civil Action No. 6:09cv245 (S.D.W.V., Jan. 15, 2011) (WVCCPA).
- Daughtry v. Knowledge Learning Corporation and Kindercare Learning Centers, Inc., Civil Action No. 3:09cv683 (E.D. Va. 2009) (FCRA).
- Williams v. Omnisec International Investigations, Inc., Civil Action No. 3:10cv117 (E.D. Va. 2010) (FCRA).
- Echehoyen v. GMAC Mortgage LLC et al., Case No. 10-C-09-003965 (Md. Cir. Ct. Mar. 15, 2010) (FDCPA).
- Yarish v. U.S. Bank, 3:08cv380 (E.D. Va. 2009) (FCRA class action).
- Towles v. B.P. Products North America, Inc. ( Ill. N.D. 2009) (FCRA Class action).
- McCormick v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. , 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 15406 (S.D.W.V. 2009) (FDCPA class action).
- Watkins v. Wells Fargo Home Mortg., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 47834 (S.D.W.V. 2008) (predatory lending class action).
- Johnson v. Mid-Atlantic Fin. Co., Inc. (E.D. Va. 2006) (FCRA and ECOA class action).
- Baldwin v. National Auto Fin. Co., Inc. (E.D. Va. 2006) (ECOA class action).
- Thomas v. Centrix Financial, LLC (E.D. Va. 2005) (ECOA class action).
- Davis v. Citifinancial Auto Corp. (E.D. Va. 2005) (ECOA class action).
- Castro v. Solstice Capital Group, Inc. (D. Conn. 2005) (RESPA class action).
- Cook v. Certegy Payment Recovery Services (E.D. Va. 2004) (FDCPA class action).
- Ewald v. National City Mortg. Co. (Hanover County Circuit Court 1998) (predatory lending case).
- Defended dozens of cases in numerous states involving federal and state consumer protection statutes (FCRA, FACTA, FDCPA, ECOA, RESPA, etc.), and common law claims.
- Favorable settlement in patent infringement case during 4th day of jury trial in Newark, New Jersey. ( Smart Trike USA, LLC v. Heinz KETTLER GmbH & Co. KG, 2:10cv2063-FSH-PS (D.N.J.)
- Heinz KETTLER GmbH & Co., KG v. The Little Tikes Co., Inc., 680 F. Supp. 2D 757 (E.D. Va., Jan. 14, 2010) (patent infringement).
- Heinz KETTLER GmbH & Co., KG v. Razor USA, LLC, 2010 U.S. District LEXIS 119954 (E.D. Va. Nov. 5, 2010).
- Heinz KETTLER GmbH & Co., KG v. Indian Industries, Inc. 592 F. Supp. 2d 880; 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3227 (E.D. Va., 2009) (patent infringement).
- Rescue Phone, Inc. v. Enforcement Technologies Group, Inc. (E.D. Va. 2007) (patent infringement).
- Heinz KETTLER GmbH & Co., KG v. Friendly Toys Corp. (E.D. Va. 2007) (patent infringement).
- GIV, LLC v. International Business Machines Corp. (E.D. Va. 2007) (represented computer manufacturer in defense of patent infringement claims).
- Heinz KETTLER GmbH & Co., KG v. Radio Flyer, Inc. (E.D. Va. 2004) (patent and trade dress infringement).
- Military Circle Mall v. Military Circle Pawn Shop (Norfolk Cir. Ct. 1997) (trademark infringement).
- Johnson v. Washington, 559 F.3d 238; 2009 U.S. App. LEXIS 3596 (4th Cir. Feb. 24, 2009) (predatory lending).
- Global Ampersand LLC v. Crown Engineering and Constr., Inc. (E.D. Ca. 2008) (construction).
- Station 2 LLC v. Marathon Development Group, et al. (Norfolk Cir. Ct. 2006) (trial court dismissed claims against clients) (on appeal).
- 401 Granby LLC v. Baylor, CH05-2033 (Norfolk Cir. Ct. 2005) (real estate).
- TradeStaff & Co. v. Geissinger (Norfolk Cir. Ct. 2004) (injunction ordered in non-compete case).
- Cromer v. Tradestaff & Co. 2004 WL 1059746 (Richmond Cir. Ct. 2004).
- Chenault v. Tradestaff & Co. 2004 WL 1059755 (Richmond Cir. Ct. 2004).
- Amark Corp. v. WAKO Chemicals USA, Inc. (Chesterfield Cir. Ct. 2004) (construction dispute involving large chemical plant).
- Llobell v. Valley Poultry and Produce, Inc. (Norfolk Cir. Ct. 2003) (corporate dissolution).
- Buenger v. Fluor Daniel, (W.D. Va. 2003) (obtained dismissal for Fluor in construction case).
- McMillion v. Dryvit Sys, Inc., 262 Va. 463, 552 S.E.2d 364 (2001) (EIFS litigation).
- Lesner Pointe Condo. Ass’n v Dryvit Sys. (Va. Beach Cir. Ct., 2000) (EIFS litigation).
- Newco. Inc. v. Cessna Aircraft Co., 1997 U.S. App. LEXIS 31792 (4th Cir. Nov. 12, 1997) (affirming dismissal by the district court of Newco’s complaint for failure to state a claim).
- Mirabile v. Life Co. of N. Am., (E.D. Va. June 12, 2007), aff’d (4th Cir. 2008) (summary judgment for LINA).
- Moore v. Life Ins. Co. of N. Am., 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 4925 (N.D.W.V. 2007) (summary judgment for LINA).
- Donnell v. Metro. Life Ins. Co., 2006 U.S. App. LEXIS 3073 (4th Cir. 2006) (no discovery in ERISA cases).
- Willis v. Metro. Life Ins. Co., (W.D. Va. 2005) (granting MetLife’s Motion for Summary Judgment).
- Meador v. Life Ins. Co. of N. Am ., (D. Md., Dec. 16, 2005) (summary judgment for LINA).
- Stanley v. Metro. Life Ins. Co., 312 F.Supp.2d 786 (E.D. Va. 2004).
- Williams v. Unum Life Ins. Co. of America, 250 F. Supp. 2d 641 (E.D. Va. 2003).
- Clanton v. Metro. Life Ins. Co., 2003 WL 21655276 (E.D. Va. June 10, 2003) (No discovery in ERISA cases).
- Burkhart v. Metro. Life Ins. Co., 2003 WL 21655486 (E.D. Va. June 11, 2003) (discovery in ERISA cases).
- Martin v. Metro. Life Ins. Co., 2002 WL 32072618 (2002), aff'd 2003 WL 21008667 (4th Cir. 2003) (summary judgment for MetLife).
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, “Mortgage Loan Servicing- A Litigator’s Perspective”, American Bar Association Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 11, 2014, Chicago.
- Speaker, "Everything You Don't Know About E-Discovery (But Wish You Did)," National Business Institute, November 22, 2013.
- Speaker, "Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation," American Conference Institute, July 29, 2013.
- Speaker, "Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation," American Conference Institute, January 31, 2013.
- Speaker, American Bar Association's "Fall 2012 National Legal Malpractice Conference".
- Speaker, "Understanding Debt Collection Litigation Trends and Preventing Future Lawsuits", American Conference Institute's 14th National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Action & Litigation, July 2012.
- Speaker, "Class Action Litigation Trends: A Look into New Cases, Theories of Liability & Updates on the Cases to Watch", American Conference Institute's 13th National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Action & Litigation, January 2012.
- Speaker, "Identifying and Avoiding Trouble Spots in Debt Collection & Credit Reporting & Defending Against FDCPA, TCPA, FACTA and FCRA Claims," American Conference Institute's 11th National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, July 2011.
- Speaker, Mortgage Bankers Association Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Conference, May 2011.
- Speaker, "Managing the Current and Future Waves of Discriminatory and Predatory Lending/Servicing Cases," American Conference Institute’s 10th Annual Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, January 2011.
- Co-author, "New York Announces Sweeping New Regulation of the Debt Collection Industry," TerraLex, March 16, 2015.
- Author, "Background Checks are a Good Business Decision," The Hampton Roads Business Journal, June 1, 2012.
- Quoted, "CFPB's Watchful Eye to Sharpen in Coming Months," Law360, August 15, 2011.
- Quoted, "After a Year, Dodd-Frank Still Confounds," Inside Business, August 1, 2011.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Past Board member, Horizons Hampton Roads
- Chairman, Project Exile Community Support Foundation, 1998-2000
Rankings and Recognition
- Named to Virginia Business Magazine’s Legal Elite in Civil Litigation (2004-2013).
- Recipient of Inside Business Magazine's Top Forty Under 40.
- Selected by Law & Politics as a Virginia Super Lawyer in Business Litigation (2010-2014).
- Included in the Virginia Top 100 List by Super Lawyers (2013).
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Commercial Litigation, Corporate Law, Litigation - Construction, Litigation - Intellectual Property, Financial Services Regulation Law, and Regulatory Enforcement Litigation (2011-2014).
- University of Richmond, J.D., 1994
- James Madison University, B.S., cum laude, 1991