Jason Manning's practice focuses on financial services litigation, complex commercial litigation, and intellectual property litigation.
Jason represents national banks, mortgage investors, and loan servicers in individual and class action complaints arising under federal and state law. His practice includes litigation defense and compliance advice regarding FDCPA, TILA, FCRA, RICO, RESPA, TCPA, and various state consumer statutes. He has experience responding to CFPB, state Attorney General, and state banking department inquiries.
Jason has represented Fortune 500 companies in trials, hearings, and depositions in contract disputes, business torts, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets. He is licensed to practice in DC, NY, NJ, VA, and WV where his experience includes trials and appeals in state and federal courts, as well as mediation and arbitration.
- Obtained summary judgment in Fair Credit Reporting Act class action. Kingery v. Quicken Loans, Inc. (S.D.W.Va.)
- Obtained summary judgment in Truth in Lending Act class action. Valrie v. Nationstar Mortgage, LLC (S.D. Ala.).
- Obtained summary judgment in class action case alleging $11M in loan servicing violations under the WVCCPA based on the statute of limitation and acceleration of the debt, affirmed on appeal to the Fourth Circuit. Delebreau v. Bayview Loan Serv., LLC, (S.D.W.Va.; 4th Cir.).
- Resolved numerous putative FDCPA class actions alleging debt collection violations arising from dunning letters (E.D.N.Y., S.D.N.Y., N.D.Ill., E.D.Va.).
- Obtained dismissal of class action alleging violations under the FDCPA for failure to provide the mini-Miranda warning (Md. Cir. Ct.).
- Secured settlement of class action arising from alleged “robo-signing” of affidavits in foreclosure proceedings and NJCFA claims (D.N.J.).
- Resolved hundreds of state and federal cases involving litigation arising from the origination or servicing of mortgages (NY, NJ, VA, WV, DC).
- Obtained summary judgment on origination and servicing claims under the WVCCPA. McFarland v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. (S.D.W.Va.).
- Obtained defense verdict for national bank and mortgage tracking and servicing companies in bench trial on issues relating to alleged defects in non-judicial foreclosure. Rainey v. FMF Capital, LLC (N.D.Ga.).
- Obtained summary judgment for Goldman Sachs in lawsuit involving allegations that mortgage backed securities and hedging with credit default options barred lien enforcement or invalidated the lien; affirmed on appeal to the Fourth Circuit (E.D.Va.; 4th Cir.).
- Obtained summary judgment for client investor in a real estate acquisition, and defended judgment on appeal to the Fourth Circuit where the decision was affirmed. (E.D.Va.; 4th Cir.).
- Obtained dismissal of state consumer claims under the WVCCPA for alleged loan servicing violations based on federal preemption under the National Bank Act and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), and summary judgment on the remaining claims, Id. (N.D.W.Va.).
Complex Commercial Litigation/Intellectual Property
- Obtained verdict for client after 13 day trial in which the court ordered judicial dissolution of general partnership with no liability on counterclaims for breach of fiduciary duty and conversion. Defended verdict through appeal to the Virginia Supreme Court where the decision was affirmed.
- Obtained jury verdict for client finding validity and infringement of client's automated inspection patent and secured bench ruling denying inequitable conduct after two week trial (E.D.Va.).
- Obtained $350,000 jury verdict after six-day trial on behalf of minority shareholder frozen out of closely held business.
- Obtained dismissal of $7 million professional negligence complaint by land developer against client engineering firm, with zero liability and no damages.
- Represented oil and gas exploration company in multi-jurisdiction litigation over alleged misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented client in Department of Justice opposition to corporate merger based on anti-competitive allegations.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Virginia Bar Association
- Horizons Hampton Roads, Board of Directors
Rankings and Recognition
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2012-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2006-2011
- Associate, Kirkland & Ellis LLP, 2003-2006 (NY office)
- Judicial Extern, Honorable Kenneth F. Ripple, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- University of Notre Dame, J.D., magna cum laude,
Article Editor, Notre Dame Law Review
Moot Court Best Speaker Award
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., magna cum laude,
Gamma Beta Phi
Pi Sigma Alpha
Lambda Pi Eta
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of West Virginia