Jamie Sanders is a litigation partner in the Insurance practice at Troutman Sanders. He primarily represents insurers in complex, high-stakes insurance coverage litigation, with an emphasis on long-tail environmental and toxic tort claims. He has also represented companies in commercial litigation and defended insurers against “bad faith” claims.
- Represented insurer in high-profile environmental contamination lawsuit in Madison, Wisconsin where the insured sought defense and indemnity coverage for two class action lawsuits and a DNR-mandated remediation.
- Represented insurers in multiple long-tail asbestos insurance coverage cases in Illinois state court where insureds were seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance coverage.
- Secured a finding of no coverage in favor of insurer in litigation where plaintiffs sought to collect an underlying arbitration award from a $5 million directors and officers liability policy.
- Secured dismissal of garnishment action against liability insurer in which the underlying plaintiff sought to collect on a multi-million dollar personal injury judgment.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in a dispute over the insurer’s obligation to cover approximately $5 million in post-judgment interest (affirmed by Illinois Appellate Court).
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurer in a breach of contract and indemnity action filed against its managing general agent, which resulted in the insurer recovering more than $1.3 million in damages, including attorneys’ fees.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- “The Changing Litigation Climate for Formerly Peripheral Asbestos Defendants,” Emerging Insurance Coverage and Allocation Issues Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 19, 2015.
- "Extra-Contractual Liability Arising from Failure to Settle Within Policy Limits," Chicago Bar Association, February 4, 2015.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board Member, Children’s Research Junior Board Foundation
- Member, Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation
Rankings and Recognition
- Recognized as an Illinois Rising Star in insurance within the 2015 edition of Super Lawyers Magazine.
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2015-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2011-2014
- Associate, Leahy, Eisenberg & Frankel, 2007-2011
- University of Georgia, J.D., cum laude, 2006
Notes Editor, Georgia Law Review
- University of Georgia, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin