Jamie Sanders is a partner in the Insurance practice at Troutman Sanders. He primarily represents insurers in complex, high-stakes insurance coverage litigation, with an emphasis on long-tail environmental and toxic tort claims. His experience also includes representing companies in commercial litigation and defending insurers against “bad faith” claims. He has litigated cases in state and federal courts across the country, including several appeals. He also counsels insurers on policy interpretation issues and develops strategies for insurers involved in pre-litigation coverage disputes.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in a dispute over the insurer’s obligation to cover approximately $5,000,000 in post-judgment interest (affirmed by Illinois Appellate Court). Colella v. Occidental Fire & Cas. Co., 2013 IL App (1st) 121338-U.
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurer in a breach of contract and indemnity action filed against its managing general agent, which resulted in the insurer recovering more than $1.3 million in damages, including attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of liability insurer (affirmed by Illinois Appellate Court) in coverage dispute involving the defense and primary indemnity obligation for an underlying personal injury suit.
- Successfully represented liability insurer seeking equitable indemnity for settlement of personal injury claim asserted against a common insured. Trial court granted liability insurer’s motion for judgment on pleadings and awarded full indemnity.
- Obtained dismissal of multiple suits filed by insureds against insurance producers for alleged errors and omissions in procuring insurance coverage.
- Obtained dismissal of tort claims against client (affirmed by Illinois Appellate Court) based on exculpatory release. Hamer v. City Segway Tours of Chicago, LLC, 402 Ill. App. 3d 42 (1st Dist. 2010).
- As lead trial attorney, secured favorable jury verdict for client in breach of contract action.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- "Extra-Contractual Liability Arising from Failure to Settle Within Policy Limits," Chicago Bar Association, February 4, 2015.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board Member, Children’s Research Junior Board Foundation
- Member, Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2015-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2011-2014
- Associate, Leahy, Eisenberg & Frankel, 2007-2011
- University of Georgia, J.D., cum laude, 2006
Notes Editor, Georgia Law Review
- University of Georgia, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin