Evan Pontz specializes in employment and labor law matters, including employment discrimination litigation, traditional labor law issues, workplace safety matters, compliance counseling and preventative training.
- Represents companies in employment discrimination litigation involving sex, race, age, disability, sexual harassment, FMLA leave issues, wage and hour matters, and state law tort claims.
- Lead trial counsel in class action and individual employment litigation matters.
- Represents clients in labor arbitrations, contract negotiations and in dealing with existing or potential unions.
- Represents clients in OSHA and State Workplace safety litigations and compliance matters.
- Counsels clients on various issues of labor and employment law.
- Provides training and counseling for management in complying with federal and state employment laws and regulations.
- Author & editor of HR blog: www.HRLawMatters.com.
- Author (Chapter) Employment Law 2015 (Aspatore Thought Leadership), ed. 2015
- Author (Chapter) Inside the Minds: Complying with Employment Regulations, 2013 ed.
- Author of series of six articles on Employment Law appearing in Inside Counsel, October – December, 2011.
- “What a Difference ADEA Makes: Why Disparate Impact Theory Should Not Apply to the Age Discrimination in Employment Act,” 74 North Carolina Law Review 267 (1995).
- “The Cost of Union-Management Cooperation: Criminal Sanctions for Employer Business Entertainment of Union Officials,” Labor Law Journal, December 1997, pp. 726-37 (co-authored with Christopher S. Miller, Ph.D.).
Professional and Community Involvement
- Leadership Atlanta, Class of 2017
- Past Chair, Troutman Sanders Atlanta Pro Bono Committee
- Member, State Bar of Georgia, Atlanta Bar Association, & American Bar Association (and respective Labor & Employment sections)
- Member, Society of Human Resource Management and SHRM-Atlanta
- Former Board Chair, Georgia Lawyers for Arts
- Board Member, Atlanta Legal Aid Society
- Board Member, The LAM Foundation
- March of Dimes Georgia
Rankings and Recognition
- Listed as a Georgia Leading Lawyer in Labor & Employment (2011) and as an Up and Coming attorney (2009-2010) by Chambers USA.
- Selected as a Legal Elite Georgia Top Lawyer: Labor & Employment by Georgia Trend Magazine (2006-2007, 2011-2013).
- Selected as a Georgia Rising Star in Employment Litigation by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine (2005, 2007, 2009 & 2010) and in Pro Bono & Non-Profits (2006-2007, 2012)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Employment Law - Management, Labor Law (2013-2015).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2004-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1996-2003
- University of North Carolina, J.D., with honors, 1996
- University of Pennsylvania, M.G.A., 1994
- Emory University, B.A., 1992
Supreme Court of Georgia
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
Georgia Court of Appeals