Eric Unis has experience in several areas of complex litigation, including consumer law, breach of contract cases, securities law, False Claims Act litigation and intellectual property law. He also regularly advises retailers, manufacturers, and other providers of consumer goods and services on legal compliance in the areas of sweepstakes, contests and other promotions; advertising; gift card programs; data collection, information management, and privacy; e-marketing; and product safety and product recalls. He is an assistant editor of the Troutman Sanders Consumer Law Newsletter.
- Representing appliance manufacturer in consumer class action litigation relating to energy efficiency claims.
- Participated in representation of gourmet snack food company in multiple related national consumer class action lawsuits and class action settlement.
- Represented diamond manufacturer in international arbitration concerning possession of $6 million inventory of diamonds and defense of intellectual property claims.
- Represented residents of historic apartment building in lawsuit against the City of New York and real estate developers alleging violations of environmental law and municipal land use law.
- Representing the owners of a majority interest in an apparel manufacturer in dispute relating to valuation of the business with the minority owner.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, “Recent Legal Developments of Special Interest to Retailers,” CLE Seminar, April 18, 2012
- Speaker, "Recent Developments in Retailing and Advertising Law," CLE Seminar, December 6, 2011.
- Speaker, "Hot Topics in Retailing Law," CLE Seminar, June 23, 2009.
- "The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Raises the Stakes" by Aurora Cassirer and Eric Unis, Financial Fraud Law Report, June 2013.
- Assistant editor of the Consumer Law Newsletter, a publication which reports on legal issues of particular interest to providers and advertisers of consumer goods and services.
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected as a "Rising Star" by New York Metro Super Lawyers (2014).
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2005-present
- Associate, Jenkens & Gilchrist Parker Chapin LLP, 2001-2005
- Georgetown University, J.D., 2001
- New York University, B.A., cum laude, 1998
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York