David Golden’s work includes planning, compliance, transactions, and civil tax controversies. He is involved in a variety of matters relating to state and federal taxation of corporations, partnerships, individuals, tax exempt entities and industrial development bonds. He also provides a full range of trust and estate planning services.
- Developed litigation strategy and participated in the litigation of AT&T v. Collins, in which Fulton County Superior Court and the Georgia Court of Appeals, in a case of first impression, sanctioned the use of the unitary method of apportionment, representing a multimillion dollar state tax savings to AT&T.
- Served as Bond Counsel preparing all required bond documents to enable owners of manufacturing facilities, warehouses and office buildings to obtain significant property tax abatements.
- Successfully negotiated the value of a closely held business with the District Counsel's office of the IRS where the liquidation value of the business was far in excess of the going concern value.
- Designed a creative compensation package permitting the owner of a successful small business to attract and reward qualified personnel while retaining 100 percent ownership in the business.
- Represented the purchaser and negotiated all tax aspects in a $20+ million stock acquisition, including treating the transaction as an asset purchase for income tax purposes to maximize the purchaser's tax benefits.
- Developed tax savings strategies to enable a seller of stock in his closely held company to eliminate approximately $1.5 million of income tax liability.
- Provide ongoing advice to major private foundations to enable such foundations to maintain compliance with the complex rules and regulations governing these entities.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Licensed Certified Public Accountant (Georgia)
- State Bar of Georgia (Member, Fiduciary and Taxation Sections)
- Atlanta Bar Association (Member, Board of Directors, Taxation Section)
- American Bar Association (Member, Section of Taxation)
Rankings and Recognition
- Selected as a Super Lawyer in Estate Planning & Probate by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine (2004-2014).
- Named to Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite in taxes, estates, and trusts (2004-2013).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1993-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1984-1992
- Sr. Accountant, Arthur Anderson (Atlanta), 1978-1981