Christina Bost Seaton is a business litigation lawyer with extensive experience litigating and counseling regarding complex commercial disputes. She has particular expertise in the areas of (1) restrictive covenants and trade secrets; (2) privacy and information security; and (3) whistleblowers. She regularly publishes and speaks on these topics.
Christina has wide-ranging substantive experience, including, but not limited to, securities fraud litigation, derivative litigation, accountant's liability cases, litigation involving real estate (REITs, private equity funds, commercial landlord-tenant, foreclosures, Yellowstone injunctions, zoning disputes), breach of contract litigation, qui tam cases, and employment law. She works closely with clients in all sectors, and has particular expertise with the banking, real estate, and retail sectors. She regularly appears in both state court and federal litigation, in both the trial level and appellate courts.
Christina is well-versed in electronic discovery and, as a member of the firm’s eDiscovery and Data Management team, she advises clients on all stages of electronic discovery as well as other issues regarding law and technology. She also provides corporate training and assists clients in developing compliance strategies and personnel policies, including social media policies, Bring Your Own Device policies, and employee monitoring policies, among others.
Christina uses her wide-ranging substantive background to identify legal issues across multiple disciplines and forge creative solutions for her clients. She enjoys using litigation as either a tool to apply leverage or mitigate risk, so that her clients can successfully achieve their business goals.
- Represented two national financial services companies in litigation involving claims for fraud, quiet title, unjust enrichment, and violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Obtained dismissal of all claims with prejudice at motion to dismiss stage. Goldman v. Nationstar Mortgage, LLC, Case No. 14 Civ. 1886 (JSR), 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 34420 (S.D.N.Y. Mar. 18, 2015).
- Represented a board of directors in a derivative litigation. Motion to transfer granted. Weinfeld v. Minor, 12-CV-6395, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 141297 (E.D.N.Y. Sept. 30, 2013)
- Represented the technology transfer arm of an Israeli University in an action that arose out of a Research and License Agreement dispute. Motion to dismiss granted on forum non conveniens grounds. Gordon v. Ramot-At-Tel-Aviv University, 13 Civ. 5105 (AT), 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 49376 (S.D.N.Y., April 8, 2014). Motion for reconsideration denied, 13 Civ. 5105 (AT), 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 84238 (S.D.N.Y. June 5, 2014).
- Represented mortgagor in a foreclosure of a commercial property in Brooklyn, New York. P.B.
# 7, LLC. v. 231 Fourth Avenue Lyceum, LLC , Index. No. 10035/08 (Kings County).
- Represented a distributor in a breach of contract litigation. Defeated motion to dismiss. Ross Organic Specialty Sales, Inc. v. Evonik Goldschmidt Corp., Index No. 651685/2011 (New York County).
- Represented an accounting firm in accounting malpractice litigations arising from the Madoff fraud. Motions to dismiss granted.Board of Trustees of the Upstate New York Engineers Training Fund v. Schulteis & Panettieri, LLP, Index No. 4248/2011 (Onondaga County); Board of Trustees of the Upstate New York Engineers Welfare Fund, Index No. 4247/2011 (Onondaga County).
- Represented a movie theater company in a public accommodation lawsuit. Boggerty v. Stewart, C.A. No. 09A-05-002, 2010 Del. Super. LEXIS 273 (Del. Super. Ct. Jul. 6, 2010),affirmed 14 A.3d 542 (Del. 2011).
- Represented a shipping company in a breach of contract litigation. Defeated motion to dismiss. RF International Ltd. v. Lion Metals, Inc., 10-cv-1108, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 130283 (E.D.N.Y. Dec 10, 2010).
- Contributing Editor, Tortious Interference in the Employment Context: A State-by-State Survey, Fourth Edition, Bloomberg BNA, 2014.
- Co-Author, “ Privilege Issues for Multijurisdictional In-house Counsel,” Corporate Counsel Magazine, September 23, 2014.
- Author, “What Employers Need to Know about Technology’s Impact on Internal Investigations,” prepared for the National Symposium on Technology and Labor and Employment Law,” New York, April 2014.
- Co-Author, “Class or Collective Waivers and Employment Arbitration—Should Employers Consider Deploying This New Weapon?,” Troutman Sanders LLP Employment & The Law Newsletter, April 7, 2014.
- Co-Author, “Non-Compete Purgatory: You Know You Are Leaving, But You Are Not Gone (Yet),” prepared for the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, March 2014.
- Author, “Restrictive Covenants and Trade Secrets from the Employer’s Perspective,” prepared for the 31st Annual National CLE Conference in Vail, Colorado, January 2014.
- Co-Author, “How Employers Can Minimize Risks under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”),” Troutman Sanders LLP Employment & the Law Newsletter, December 23, 2013.
- Co-Author, “Recent Developments in Federal Class Actions—Plaintiffs’ and Defense Counsel Assess the Impact of the Supreme Court’s Decisions in Comcast Corp. v. Behrend and Standard Fire Ins. Co v. Knowles on Employment Class Actions,” ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law Flash, May 2013.
- Co-Author, “Stretching Beyond the Sea Shore: Non-compete Geographic Restrictions in a Virtual World,” prepared for the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, March 2013.
- Co-Author, “ Caution Advised: Employers Must Be Careful Not to Commit an Invasion of Privacy During Investigations,” December 13, 2012.
- Author, " Social Media Password Ownership and the Workplace," Law360, December 05, 2012.
- Co-author with John P. Hutchins, Law 360 Expert Analysis, “ Does Your Company Need a Chief Privacy Officer?,” October 15, 2012.
- Author, Law 360 Expert Analysis, “ The SCA Can’t Make Public Tweets Private,” August 30, 2012.
- Author, “ Is An Online Search A Background Check For FCRA?”, Lexis-Nexis Emerging Issues’ Law Community, August 8, 2012.
- Co-Author, " Severance Agreements for Employees Over 40: Understanding the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act," June 6, 2012.
- Co-Author, " To Inquire, or Not to Inquire – The Risks of Asking Job Applicants About Prior Arrests and Convictions," June 6, 2012.
- Quoted in “ Criminal Hacking Not For Computer Use Violations, 9th Circuit Rules,” 29 No. 24 Westlaw Journal Computer and Internet 3 (May 4, 2012).
- Co-Author, " Non-competes in the Electronic Workplace: Solicitation in the Age of Social Media," prepared for the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section Mid-Winter Meeting by the Non-Competition, Trade Secrets, Proprietary Information, and Duty of Loyalty Subcommittee, March 2012.
- Author, " Steps In-House Counsel May Take to Preserve the Attorney-Client Privilege," American Bar Association's Employment & Labor Relations Law, Volume 9, Number 1, Spring 2011.
- Co-Author, Blacklisting 2011, presented for the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section Mid-Winter Meeting by the Non-Competition, Trade Secrets, Proprietary Information, and Duty of Loyalty Subcommittee, San Juan, Puerto Rico, March 2011.
- Co-Author, " Speaking of Disabled: The ADA’s Limitations On Disability-Related Inquiries of Current Employees," August 17, 2010.
- Co-Author, "Employee Handbooks, Policy Manuals, and Codes of Ethics: Which Communication Tools Are Best for Your Organization?", Troutman Sanders LLP Employment & The Law Newsletter, December 2, 2009.
- Co-Author, "FMLA Coverage for Military Families Expanded Yet Again", October 29, 2009.
- Co-Author, “U.S. Supreme Court Tries To Balance Title VII’s Equal Employment Opportunity Requirements With Its Non-Discrimination Obligations,” Troutman Sanders Advisory, June 30, 2009.
- Co-Author, "Discovery Issues in Patent Litigation," Patent Litigation 2008, Practicing Law Institute, November 2008.
- Author, "Employment & The Law - Statutory Spotlight: The Anti-Discrimination Provisions of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act" (“GINA”), November 17, 2008.
- Author, "Employees Not Happy With Their Pay? Under Ledbetter Decision, They Better Act Fast!" November 2007.
- Co-Author, Say Ciao to Chow Mein: Conquering Career Burnout (with Cordell Parvin).
- Editor, "Electronically In-Touch,” the electronic newsletter of the New York State Bar Association's Young Lawyers' Section, geared towards practice tips towards young attorneys, 2006-2008.
- Editor, HR Law Matters, blog published by Troutman Sanders LLP
- Editor, Information Intersection, blog published by Troutman Sanders LLP.
- “Non-competes on the Cutting Edge,” 32nd Annual National CLE Conference in Vail, Colorado, January 2015.
- “Bring Your Own Device Policies: What You Need To Know,” presented at the Troutman Sanders LLP Cybersecurity and Information Management Seminars, held in Atlanta, Washington, DC, and New York, May 2014.
- “Internal Investigations in a Digital Workplace,” presented at the National Symposium on Technology and Labor and Employment Law, New York, New York, April 2014.
- “Emerging Issues in Restrictive Covenants and Trade Secrets,” presented at the 31st Annual National CLE Conference in Vail, Colorado, January 2014.
- “It’s as Easy as a Day at the Beach: Basics of Restrictive Covenants and Duties,” presented at the Mid-Winter Meeting of the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, Miami Beach, Florida,
- Mock Trial Participant at the Mid-Winter Meeting of the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, Las Vegas, Nevada, March 2012.
- “Developments and Issues Concerning the Protection and Disclosure of an Employer’s Confidential or Proprietary Information,” panel discussion before the Labor and Employment law club at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, March 8, 2012.
- “Strategies & Techniques when Litigating Restrictive Covenants in New York,” CLE sponsored by the Labor and Employment Law Committee of the New York City Bar, September 21, 2011.
- “Blacklisting 2011,” presented at the Mid-Winter Meeting of the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, San Juan, Puerto Rico, March 2011.
- “Legal Trends: Tackling Issues Facing Your Nonprofit,” breakout session at the New York Junior League conference on Nonprofit Excellence: Thriving in a Changing Landscape, May 12, 2010.
- “Legal Responsibility: Understanding Key Issues,” a lesson that is part of the Leadership Through Governance: Training Volunteers Through Nonprofit Board Membership course administered bi-annually by the Nonprofit Boards Clearinghouse Committee of the New York Junior League.
- “Bridging the Gap: Transforming Preparation into Practice,” Annual Meeting of the Young Lawyers Section of the New York State Bar Association, January 30, 2009.
- “Conquering Burnout,” New York Junior League University-May 10, 2007.
- Say Ciao to Chow Mein: Conquering Career Burnout for All Avenues NY, a business and social networking group, on October 18, 2006.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee, American Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section
- Litigation Committee, New York City Bar Association
- Commercial and Federal Litigation Committee, New York State Bar Association
- Labor & Employment Law Committee, New York State Bar Association
- Treasurer, Junior Junior League Committee of the New York Junior League
- Activities Committee, Yale Club of New York City
- Alumni Interviewer, Yale Alumni Schools Committee
- Class Agent, Yale Alumni Fund
- Secretary of Yale College Class of 2001
Rankings and Recognition
- Super Lawyers New York Metro Edition Rising Stars (2011–2015)
- New York State Bar Association Empire State Counsel (2006-2009; 2011-2013)
- 2008 Recipient of the New York City Bar’s Thurgood Marshall Award
- 2006 Recipient of the James C. Roberts Outstanding Achievement in Pro Bono Award
- NYU Journal of International Law & Politics, Senior Symposium Editor
- Semi-Finalist, Orison S. Marden Moot Court Competition
- Distinction in the Political Science Major, Yale University
- Pi Sigma Alpha (National Political Science Honor Society)
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2005-present
- Associate, Jenkens & Gilchrist Parker Chapin LLP, 2004-2005
- New York University, J.D., 2004
Senior Symposium Editor, NYU Journal of International Law and Politics
Semi-finalist, Orison S. Marden Moot Court Competition
- Yale University, B.A., 2001
- The Moscow Institute for Advanced Studies, International University of Moscow, 2000
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York