Christina Bost Seaton is an experienced commercial litigator with wide-ranging experience, including, but not limited to securities law, accountant's liability cases, and employment law. Christina has particular expertise counseling and litigating disputes concerning (1) restrictive covenant and trade secret cases; (2) whistleblowers; and (3) information security. Her restrictive covenant experience includes both counseling and litigating in numerous jurisdictions. Her whistleblower experience includes, but is not limited to, the False Claims Act, Sarbanes-Oxley claims, and the Dodd Frank Act. Her information security experience includes, but is not limited to, counseling with regard to and litigating cases involving the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and the Stored Communications Act, particularly in the restrictive covenant and trade secret context.
Christina is also well-versed in computer forensics and, as a member of the firm’s Electronic Discovery and Data Management practice, she advises clients on all areas of electronic discovery as well as other issues regarding law and technology. She also provides corporate training and assists clients in developing compliance strategies and personnel policies, including social media strategies.
Articles and Publications
- Co-Author, “Privilege Issues for Multijurisdictional In-house Counsel,” Corporate Counsel Magazine, September 23, 2014.
- Co-author, “Caution Advised: Employers Must Be Careful Not to Commit an Invasion of Privacy During Investigations,” December 13, 2012.
- Author, "Social Media Password Ownership and the Workplace," Law360, December 05, 2012.
- Co-author with John P. Hutchins, Law 360 Expert Analysis, “Does Your Company Need a Chief Privacy Officer?,” October 15, 2012.
- Author, Law 360 Expert Analysis, “The SCA Can’t Make Public Tweets Private,” August 30, 2012.
- Author, “Is An Online Search A Background Check For FCRA?”, Lexis-Nexis Emerging Issues’ Law Community, August 8, 2012.
- Co-author, "Severance Agreements for Employees Over 40: Understanding the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act," June 6, 2012.
- Co-author, "To Inquire, or Not to Inquire – The Risks of Asking Job Applicants About Prior Arrests and Convictions," June 6, 2012.
- Quoted in “Criminal Hacking Not For Computer Use Violations, 9th Circuit Rules,” 29 No. 24 Westlaw Journal Computer and Internet 3 (May 4, 2012).
- Co-author, "Non-competes in the Electronic Workplace: Solicitation in the Age of Social Media," prepared for the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section Mid-Winter Meeting by the Non-Competition, Trade Secrets, Proprietary Information, and Duty of Loyalty Subcommittee, March 2012.
- Author, "Steps In-House Counsel May Take to Preserve the Attorney-Client Privilege," American Bar Association's Employment & Labor Relations Law, Volume 9, Number 1, Spring 2011.
- Panelist and Co-Author, Blacklisting 2011, presented for the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section Mid-Winter Meeting by the Non-Competition, Trade Secrets, Proprietary Information, and Duty of Loyalty Subcommittee, San Juan, Puerto Rico, March 2011.
- Editor, HR Law Matters, blog published by Troutman Sanders LLP
- Editor, Information Intersection, blog published by Troutman Sanders LLP.
- Co-author with Brandon Dhande, "Speaking of Disabled: The ADA’s Limitations On Disability-Related Inquiries of Current Employees," August 17, 2010.
- Co-Author with Richard Gerakitis, "Employee Handbooks, Policy Manuals, and Codes of Ethics: Which Communication Tools Are Best for Your Organization?", Troutman Sanders LLP Employment & The Law Newsletter, December 2, 2009.
- Co-Author with Seth Ford and Evan Pontz, "FMLA Coverage for Military Families Expanded Yet Again", October 29, 2009.
- Co-Author with Seth Ford and Evan Pontz “U.S. Supreme Court Tries To Balance Title VII’s Equal Employment Opportunity Requirements With Its Non-Discrimination Obligations,” Troutman Sanders Advisory, June 30, 2009.
- Co-Author with Jeffrey C. Morgan, "Discovery Issues in Patent Litigation," Patent Litigation 2008, Practicing Law Institute, November 2008.
- "Employment & The Law - Statutory Spotlight: The Anti-Discrimination Provisions of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act" (“GINA”), November 17, 2008.
- "Employees Not Happy With Their Pay? Under Ledbetter Decision, They Better Act Fast!" November 2007.
- Co-Author, Say Ciao to Chow Mein: Conquering Career Burnout (with Cordell Parvin).
- "Electronically In-Touch,” the electronic newsletter of the New York State Bar Association's Young Lawyers' Section, geared towards practice tips towards young attorneys, 2006-2008.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Mock Trial Participant, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section Mid-Winter Meeting, March 2012.
- “Developments and Issues Concerning the Protection and Disclosure of an Employer’s Confidential or Proprietary Information,” panel discussion before the Labor and Employment law club at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, March 8, 2012.
- “Strategies & Techniques when Litigating Restrictive Covenants In New York”, CLE sponsored by the Labor and Employment Law Committee of the New York City Bar, September 21, 2011.
- "Legal Trends: Tackling Issues Facing Your Nonprofit", breakout session at the New York Junior League conference on Nonprofit Excellence: Thriving In A Changing Landscape, May 12, 2010.
- "Legal Responsibility: Understanding Key Issues," a lesson that is part of the Leadership Through Governance: Training Volunteers Through Nonprofit Board Membership course administered bi-annually by the Nonprofit Boards Clearinghouse Committee of the New York Junior League.
- “Bridging the Gap: Transforming Preparation into Practice”, Annual Meeting of the Young Lawyers Section of the New York State Bar Association, January 30, 2009.
- "Conquering Burnout", New York Junior League University-May 10, 2007.
- Say Ciao to Chow Mein: Conquering Career Burnout for All Avenues NY, a business and social networking group, on October 18, 2006.
- The Alan Colmes Show, March 24, 2006
- Hannity & Colmes, March 20, 2006
- The Hugh Hewitt Show, March 10, 2006
Professional and Community Involvement
- Commercial and Federal Litigation Committee, New York State Bar Association
- Labor & Employment Law Committee, New York State Bar Association
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee, American Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section
- Business Torts Litigation Committee, American Bar Association Section of Litigation
- Employment & Labor Relations Committee, American Bar Association Section of Litigation
- Member, Junior Junior League Committee of the New York Junior League
- Alumni Interviewer, Yale Alumni Schools Committee
- Class Agent, Yale Alumni Fund
- Secretary of Yale College Class of 2001
- Activities Committee of the Yale Club of New York City
- Kappa Kappa Gamma
Rankings and Recognition
- Super Lawyers New York Metro Edition Rising Stars (2011–2014)
- Super Lawyers Top Women Lawyers in the New York Metro Area--Rising Star in Business Litigation (2012)
- Distinction in the Political Science Major, Yale University
- Pi Sigma Alpha (National Political Science Honor Society)
- NYU Journal of International Law & Politics, Senior Symposium Editor
- Semi-Finalist, Orison S. Marden Moot Court Competition
- 2006 James C. Roberts Outstanding Achievement in Pro Bono Award
- 2008 Recipient of New York City Bar’s Thurgood Marshall Award
- New York State Bar Association Empire State Counsel for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2005-present
- Associate, Jenkens & Gilchrist Parker Chapin LLP, 2004-2005
- New York University, J.D., 2004
Senior Symposium Editor, NYU Journal of International Law and Politics
Semi-finalist, Orison S. Marden Moot Court Competition
- Yale University, B.A., 2001
- The Moscow Institute for Advanced Studies, International University of Moscow, 2000
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York